Front Hub Replacement

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ian Gross

Reaction score
For anyone that is need of replacing their 4x4 front wheel bearings, dont be intimidated. If you can change the brake pads on your front brakes you can change your hub.

You can get the Hub from the Sadler Power Train Truck Parts store on eBay. They are selling them Brand new for $75 and the shipping was only $12 for me. Autozone and Advance both wanted $170ish for one.

The only thing Id say that you should have to get this done is an air compressor and an impact gun, to get the nut off the axle shaft, its designed not to come off easily. But after you get that bold of there are only three others and a wire for the ABS system. I think it took me 1.5 hours from pulling into the garage to test drive, including a trip to the autoparts store to get a 1.25" deep well socket for the axle nut. Its prob actually a metric size but it was a close enough fit that I wasnt worried about it.

Long story short if you have an air compressor, save yourself the money and do it yourself.

Long story short if you have an air compressor,

Or a good breaker bar and a pipe !!!!!

OR Just hang on it like I do...heheheheheh

Todd Z

IT is good to do something your self and save some money...

Todd can you confirm that thats the size socket for that nut.

You have to be careful though cause without jarring it you can just torque a nut or bolt right off. I think alot of us can join that club, that is the club or people that dont know their own strength. LOL

One word of caution. I have seen many of the aftermarket hubs have the incorrect reluctor ring for the ABS.

Just match it up before you do the install. If not, you will have ABS issues at slower speeds...

How do you match it up its inside the assembled hub. I have the old one adn a new one off the trac still so I can check it but its a sealed unit the only thing that could come off would be a little screw on a bracket for the ABS wire.

Ian,

I have not had the Trac hub in my hand as of yet. I have had many hubs in general in my hand. A large percentage of them have external reluctor rings. In the case where it is sealed you can mark the hub so you have a begining and an end ans use a digital volt ohm meter as the reluctor creates AC voltage when it is turned.

You will see the DVOM number change at each rise of the reluctor...

Latest posts