Front End Noise

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
For some time now, when I travel across uneven pavement, I get this hollow thumping rattle in the front end. It seems to get louder in the cold. It really doesnt sound like it is louder on one side or the other and on even pavement or highway the noise is non existant. I crawled under the front end and did not see anything that was broken or disconnected. At first I thought it was a broken shock (I have Reflexes), but when I leaned on each corner of the front, I didnt get any large amount of movement which kleads me to believe its not a shock. Before I took it to a mechanic, I wanted to see if anyone else had any ideas. thanks in advance.

Check the ball joints...... Uppers and lowers.... Sounds like the same noise my 03 had when the uppers went bad..

Todd Z

I get the same noise. It just started a few weeks ago. I don't feel anything in the steering wheel. It doesn't pull to one side and drives and rides normally. Just a rattly sound coming from the left front when I go over a bump.