Front Driveshaft

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Travis Stevens

Reaction score
i noticed about 2000 miles ago a squeal coming from under the truck in the mid-front area... i climbed under the truck and found that my front left cv will turn about 1/8 of an inch by hand (i am going to test/check this out too because i think it may be binding) but what i think the real problem is is the propeller shaft/front driveshaft cv joint since the boot is blown apart and there is hardly any grease in it... i can buy the kit and replace the driveshafts cv and from what ive researched its pretty straight forward... so i guess the question is can i remove the front driveshaft and drive the truck around without the driveshaft in without damaging anything? i know i cant remove the cv axles because the hub bearings will blow apart.

Do you say not to drive without a driveshaft because of the non-manual hubs? I know quite a few people that have had to take out the front driveshaft because something in the diff broke. Also I've had to drive without a front driveshaft due to my transmission crossmember being in the way.

Travis, you might consider puting something in the transaxle hole. stop fluid from spilling.

I would also think you might need to take both sides out, temporarly. Might drive awkward with only one axle out.

My 44 is pitched a little upward so no fluid comes out. I can't think of what the IFS 35 looks like, but temporarily I think you would be ok to run without a driveshaft for a couple days.

Latest posts