front differential vent hose leaking

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Smith 2

Reaction score
I have an 03 ST 4x4. Had a post I put in earlier and went back to the original I posted couple of months ago. I raised the hose higher and it continues to leak? Could it have something to do with the altitude (over 9000 feet) and I drive at 40 mile commutes to work sometimes with the 4x4 engaged (in high)? Is that small cap on the end "pop off" when the pressure is to great and needs to be reseated or something? Any recommendations would be really appreciated. It is making a mess on my ST where it continues to leak. Thanks

Have not, bought the ST used last October and didn't notice problem until late Nov or early December when the Colorado mountains winter arrived. Is there a plug that I can remove to check the level? Sorry I am not the best mechanic for 4x4 systems. Thanks

The only thing I can think of is maybe water has gotten in which would make the oil level to high. It might be a good idea to drain and refill it. Jus a thought

I agree - water may be your culprit. Drain and refill seems like a good idea.

To drain, remove the cover. To fill, remove the plug from the cover, replace the cover and fill through the hole until the fluid is level with the bottom of the hole (it'll stop running out), replace plug.

That small cap is part of the breather. Basically, the hose comes out of the housing and runs up (somewhere) to bleed pressure from in side the housing. That small cap keeps water and other nasties from entering the hose. It is not supposed to pop off; it just sits there allowing vapor to escape.

There was also a TSB on this.....

on my 03 Ford removed the diff, and installs a special cover with a baffle in it to prevent the leak... IT is dry as a bone

Todd Z

Last edited by a moderator:
Where did you get the special cover with baffle? Was it expensive? I would love to fix this since it's making a mess of my ST. Thanks for the info.

Latest posts