Front bumper deflector

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CountyMounty

Reaction score
While installing a new bull bar I noted that there is a piece missing from under my front bumper. Not sure how long its been gone. I have been under it several times but never noticed before so probably over this past winter. Apparently it is called an air deflector, or lower valance.

All that is left is about a 2 foot section of the middle held on by the same three bolts that hold the lower radiator splash shield on. Should I bother try to replace this part, does it serve any needed purpose. The part itself is cheap, I've found it (I think the right one) for $15 but shipping makes it $35 to $40.

I believe it helps for airflow/aerodynamics . It deflects the air outwards and around the sides of the tires. Probably very minimal. But, our ST's need all the help they can get. IIRC it only hangs down an inch across until it gets to the curved ends. They hang down maybe 2 inches. I believe they help keep the air from "swirling" around under the ST. I thought it would hang down further on the across piece to help protect from rocks/debris as well. But, I guess the cross member does a good job of that. I'm sure the Ford engineers put it there for a good reason. Maybe as a audible warning when you approach a snow bank while parking so you don't damage all the goodies under the front end.(LCA) (maybe that's what happened with yours?) That's all I can think of. I might say for looks too. But, it's not much of anything.

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah I think they definitely are good for a warning on snowbanks and I'm guessing that might be how mine met its demise. I'm going to keep looking to see if I can happen to find it in stock at any place remotely close to me to save on the shipping which is more than the part itself.

The OEM part from a Ford dealer would be $50 or more there are a couple aftermarket replacements that are only $15 to $20, its just a small long piece of plastic, but the shipping is more than the part due to its size. I will probably replace it eventually, maybe when I take my trip to NY in June there will be a place I can just pick one up.

Yes I did any actual ford OEM part is way more expensive and while in many situations I prefer original parts for a little strip of plastic I think any of the aftermarket "crash" parts will be just fine. I've got it down to about $35 shipped so I'll probably order.

Picked one up from getitallparts.com for $30 and change, just came today, the description said it was "primed, paint to match" it is black which is what I wanted. Quality seems fine. One dumb question can anyone tell me what hold it is place under the front bumper. All I have left on my truck is the three middle screws that also hold the radiator guard/splash shield in place. It will be no trouble just going to the hardware store and coming up with something to hold it on but was curious what is is supposed to have, screws, push pins, bolts?