Frequent flyer question

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave King 2

Reaction score
Its been about 15years sense I have flown, and my question is about carry on luggage. I have a bag that measures 22x14x9 which meets the airlines limits. But the wheels on the bag add another 2 inches, so when the bag is standing on its wheels it is 24 inches high. Is this acceptable or not? I dont want to get there and have to pay $25.00 to check it through. I can just buy a smaller bag cheaper than that.

depends on the airline. you should be ok as they usually give you a little more then the published limit size.

i fly SWA and if it fits above in the overhead, they don't have a problem.

gary s is correct. Different airlines have different size restrictions for carry-on bags. Some are based on the different sizes of the overhead storage compartments of the aircraft they use.

Most airlines have a website that you can go to and get all the information about luggage size and weight restrictions for various flights. Even checked bags have size and weight restrictions

Some airlines do not charge a baggage fee for the first checked bag on overseas flights, and there are even a few airlines that do not charge any fee for your first checked bag...I think Southwest Airlines is one that does not charge a fee...at least that's what they advertise on TV.

...Rich

Thanks for the response guys. I too think it would be ok, but the wife and I decided to just go with a smaller carry on and not have the chance of any problems. We have connecting flights on different airlines and don't want to bother with checked luggage as we don't have to bring much. Oh ya, we are going to San Diego for my grandsons graduation from the U.S. Marines on 5/8. I am very proud of him and I get teary eyed just thinking about it. Thanks again guys.

As a general rule,,, slide it into the overhead with the wheels out in the direction of the aisle.

The skin of the craft arches pretty quick in the baggage storage area. As a result, the top of the bin is actually narrower (meaning length) than the bottom area where the bag sits.

So,,, by doing the wheels out, they normally fit as the doors have an arch built into them.

Or,,,

Do what I do for a living and never deal with security or worrying about storing my bags.

It will probably fit, and I echo Coastie's advice and add some more:

1) Try wheels in first and if that fits, go that route because it makes it that much easier/faster to unload when you deplane. If wheels in first does not fit, then try handle in first. If you constantly are finding that on most planes your bag fits wheels out, but not wheels first, then obviously put it in wheels out.

2) Some planes, like MD-80s have narrower bins on one side. For those, you probably have to turn the case sideways, but always try to place your bag wheels first in the deeper bin side IF there is space available by your seat. Now, that leads to the next one...

3) Never be that inconsiderate bastard that walks onto a plan and puts his or her stuff in the first free overhead bin available and then continues on to the back of the plane to your ticketed seat. Think about it. If everyone did that, then no one would be able to get off as all the people in the people in the front would have to fight to get to the back to get their luggage. I know it sounds crazy, but I see some inconsiderate knob or two do this on EVERY flight.

4) Make sure to limit your carry-ons to one personal item and one rollerboard case, and tuck the personal item under the seat in front of you. If everyone did this there would be no "running out" of space and the need to check bags.

5) When deplaning, don't bully past people that are trying to take their bags out of the overhead bin. If you are late for a connecting flight, ask the flight attendent to make an announcement asking people deplaning that are not pressed for time to stay in their seat. Then, if you can, and people are seated, deplane as quickly as possible. But, don't push and shove to get out of the plane. You shouldn't assume the value of your time, or your right to get off the plane quickly is any greater than anyone else in front of you.

I travel by air a lot, and I exclusively carry-on, and I follow these rules and really appreciate others that do the same. By not having to check bags it saves me a sum total of what is several days, if not close to a full week of my time each year; not to mention the cost savings for my company of not checking bags. Lastly, I try to stay calm, even when crap happens, and it does when flying. There are things within my control that I can fret over and work to change. Air travel is NOT one of those things...

TJR

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts