Forgot to look for basics last night . . .

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So, I parked the ST and went in to get a burrito to take home for dinner. I come back out, unlock the ST as usual with the remote. I then went to start it, and nothing. I had no electricity at all. I popped open the hood, and everything looked O.K. I was scratching my head when a couple of guy came along, and one of them wiggled the negative on the battery. Dang, found the problem. I cam home and tightened it down. It was still loose. Bottom line is that the battery cable clamp to the battery post has stretched and needs to be replaced. Never heard of this happening. Anyone else have this happen to them?

:banghead::banana::driving:

Rodger,

Don't feel too bad. I had a similar problem with my old Honda Accord. Opened the door with the remote, inserted and turned the key to start and the Alarm went off? This repeated several times before it finally fired up? Took it to Honda and less than 3 minutes they wiggled the negative battery cable and found the problem....They tightened the battery cable and I never had a problem again..DUH!

You got off cheap. It cost me $30 for my stupidity.:cry:

...Rich

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I had it happen at Wal-Mart a few months back with an almost new Wal-Mart battery. The service center was closed (after hours) After almost an hour of trying to get someone to "jump" me, I happened to wiggle the cable and found it to be loose. Tightened it up; no more problem. No, the cable connection had not stretched. I have driven a nail in the connecter to tighten it up.

I find these new style sheet metal clamps. Sometimes are loose on some brands of batteries. I have had to shim them or some mod.....:angry:

Just had this happen about 30min ago.Unlocked with remote and when I turned the key to start her up, nada. Remembered reading this post earlier so right away I checked the negative post. Yup, loose. Tightened it back and started right up.

I have found if you loosen the clamp a bunch, Clean the connector and tap it back down with a socket or the back of the ratchet, it goes further down the post and then tighten.....

OR i have added a washer behind the bolt head to allow for more surface area....

I rarely replace the connectors,,,, thats more headache then it worth unless its cracked or broken..

Todd Z