Ford Service.. Grr...

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Josh OH

Reaction score
Well as ya'll know I had my new tires and wheels with a speedometer recalibration last month by the ford dealership out here in Cali. I was happy as a lamb until yesterday, when I was driving on base and got pulled over by a cop becasue of speeding! He said that I was going 64 in a 55 zone, and I was honest and said that my speedometer read about 60. (I was going on cruise control on the road)... Long story short, I ended up talking my way out of a base ticket, but at the time of night that I got pulled over, the dealership is closed... I looked into it a little more, and hooked up my GPS system that I have on the dash of the truck, which also displays my speedometer within 1/10 of a MPH. Low and behold, my speedometer is just about 5 MPH off and has been ever since I changed the tires to the larger ones!! I was FURIOUS! I know that changing the tires is going to effect gear ratios and the speedometer, which is WHY I got it RECALIBRATED from an authorized FORD dealership, so I didn't have to worry about it, and so it wouldn't void my warranty... But obviously they didn't do the job... GOD I AM MAD!!! I am going to give them a piece of my mind and a foot in the @$$ tomorrow! Grrr...

Sorry.. Just venting, but it SERIOUSLY makes me re-think the whole ESP extended warranty when I can't even get simple things done by ford, and I invested an extra $2,000 in a warranty I'm unsure if they are going to hold up to their end of the bargan on ya know?!!?

Last edited by a moderator:
Most factory speedometers are off 4-9 mph from the factory, May not be their fault.

Todd Z

Todd,

I totaly understand what your saying about the speedometer being off by a little even from the factory, but what makes me so angry is the fact that I paid $41.25 to have the damn thing re-calibrated AFTER I got the tires installed and it wasn't done right! It's one thing to get it from the factory a little off, and say, "Ok".. I'll deal. It's TOTALY something else when you pay EXTRA to have the job done RIGHT and they don't do it! Ya know?

Just my view point.. I mean, If I can calibrate a multimillion dollar aircraft to drop a laser guided bomb through a window from 4 miles high, then these guys can calibrate a truck speedometer!

I checked my speedometer with the roadside signs that measure spped as you pass by. They all say my speedometer is 3 mph fast, so I figure I can safely go 58 in a 55 mph zone.

Josh I hear you, But what I am saying is the calibration they used is a soft wear program that takes the calculation of the tire size and sets up the speedo for that size. The speedo will not be 100% accurate because of the difference in air pressures, tread height and stuff from each tire manufacturer....

If you want it to be 100% they might have to calculate for a slightly different height tire to get it 100%.

Todd Z

I figured that's what they are going to have to do Todd. And don't get me wrong, not arguing because I figured that's how they go about calibrating the speedometer.. But I'd rather have it off by like 1 or 2 mph rather than 5 or 6 at higher speeds, so I know a little better how fast I'm going, plus it gives me a better guess on what my mpg and gear ratios are, ya know?

Latest posts