Ford recommends 7,500 miles between oil changes

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bo Loo

Reaction score
According to this article, Ford has revised the interval between oil changes to 7,500 miles...

I use Mobile1 and usually change every 5,000 - 6,000 miles with the highest grade filter available in the store.

I work at a Ford dealership in the parts department and this is the first I've heard of this!

Go out and read a maintenance manual out of an 08 F150, my 08 F150 recommends these extended intervals.

I believe the manual for my 93 F-150 recommended 5000mile oil changes, than after 100K miles, switch to 7500. But it also said for extreme driving (heat, towing etc) 3000.

any thing to cut the maintenance costs.....

Todd Z

Same here,,,

Always use synthetic, around 7000 miles or so I start to make arrangements to get it changed. I rotate my tires every other oil change.

I got 68,000 miles on my tires for my Trac before I replaced them and 87,000 on my Lexus before I changed them, (They NEEDED changed about 5000 miles earlier though).

I believe the manual for my 93 F-150 recommended 5000mile oil changes, than after 100K miles, switch to 7500.

Why would the oil change interval get longer after 100k miles? I would think it would go the other way!

Dreman,

The reason the maint period can be extended after 100k miles is because of engine break-in/down. At a certain point the break-down of the engine parts has started to plataeu (think of a curve that starts big then settles out over time to almost flat)...that curve is the engine part break-down. The break-down is most substantial during the first 5k to 10k miles as everything is broken in, and continues to lessen over time/with more miles.

That's my theory anyway.

TJR

I still have a hard time going over 5000 miles with any oil because I want to get the dirt out. Lately I've been running Motorcraft Blend in everything although I put Valvoline Synthetic in the last time and I will get a used oil analysis after 5000 and see what it looks like.

For me it's just a difference of changing oil three times a year or two. Not a big deal.

On my old '05 Trac I once tried Mobil 1 Truck & SUV oil, ran it 5000 and got a UOA, Blackstone's report was utterly awful for wear metals and they recommended I only run it for 3000 miles. :blink:

At that point I had already put in Pennzoil Platinum synthetic and the 5000 mile UOA proved to be very good. So if you want to use Mobil 1 just get the regular stuff and not the Truck & SUV.

My dad's Cadillac has an oil life monitor that shows the percentage remaining, once we ran it down to about 3% and 12,000 miles just for kicks with Pennzoil Platinum in it and the UOA was fine. I will note that Cadillac Northstars hold 7.5 quarts.