Ford Focus Brake Rubbing Sound

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fudged Undies

Reaction score
Yeah, I know it sounds odd, but when the car is cold, and you press the brakes the car makes a rubbing sound. Only seems to happen when the car is completely cold and usually on the first brake application. After that it doesn't happen again. I haven't really looked into the problem yet, but looking to see if anyone has any suggestions as to what to look for/at.

I have an 05 and every time I start applying the brakes after it sets outside all night or is parked for a few days it makes a slight scraping or rubbing sound. I think it's pretty much normal as it is just wearing off rust and dirt on the rotors. Apply the brakes a few times and it's gone. I also had an 03 and it was the same way, so i'm not worrying.

SS, it sounds like you may have the same problem as Jim. After the first aplication of the brakes, the rust would be off and the "rubbing sound" won't happen again. Or are you saying it only happens during "cold" weather? If that's the case, there is something going on that I've never heard of before.;)