Ford Escape owners, I'm looking at buying one. Have questions???

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jerry Gerner 2

Reaction score
It's been a pain in the ass looking for a good replacement vehicle with the options and size needed to replace Carol's '97 Mountaineer V8 AWD. I've search through alot of different makes and models and found a couple that may work. I'm looking at 2010-2012 Ford Escapes now. Would like to find dark cloth interior, V6 AWD. Is there a certain year that I should stay away from? Or look at specific things that are known problems when looking at the vehicles in person? Any issues with them? True mileage, not what's posted on window sticker? Thanks ya'll.

Jerry, 3 issues the '08 to '12 escapes have had.

1) leaking trans coolers. covered on a tsb. no recalls. $800 if out of warranty. X wife was lucky her '08 happened durring warranty.

2) In '08 Ford switched from hydralic power steering, to electric motors on the column. Some have been known to go out leaving the driver with hard manual steering. No recall, just a tsb. Entire column replacement only, $1200 if out of warranty..

3) accelerator cable is known to break. No recall.

4) I added this out of why ford. They went back to drum brakes on the rear

Thanks Eddie. I found an online brochure for the 2008-2012 Escape, went through all of the options, models, etc... I definetly want to try and find a 2010-2012 Escape XLT Sport V6 4wd. I test drove a 2011 Limited 4cyl and on the hills around here it's gutless, definetly need the V6 almost 100 hp more. I want the charcoal cloth interior and would like if it had the security system with remote starter package (make it easier for Carol to warm up the truck with our 16 month old). I can't find any Sports at local dealers, if ya'll wouldn't mind helping me locate one (I'll take a drive for it if its not too far or a local dealer could transfer if to their dealership). Where's Gary at? Doesn't he own two Escape's? :eek:nline::supercool:

Jerry,

The '09 and up 3.0L has 240 hp. Up thru '08 only 200 hp.

The XLT sport versions are hard to find. I guess not much demand.

Yup, gotta have the V6........

Gary's escape was an '08 4 banger. I think his fleet was gen 1's

'08 started gen 2. 2013 will be gen 3......

Some mechanicals in the generations. Mostly sheetmetal.

Hey Jerry,

We just bought a 2013 escape. 2 wheel drive auto ecoboost. Only have about 200 miles in it but think we are going to like it. I started out to look at several different brands of vehicles and never got past the ford dealer. Ours is a 2.0 4 cy with ecoboost. There are two 4 cy motors. the salesman told me he wouldn't sell me the smaller one because it was to underpowered. I have bought a bunch of new cars over the years and never look forward to the interaction with the salesmen. This time our salesman was a pretty nice guy and the process was a pleasant experiance. I had done my home work so I pretty much knew price options ect. I asked about new 2012 models and was told that they are pretty scarce if I could find one at all. ours is pretty peppy (i toasted the tires trying to beat some traffic and was supprised) and the gas milage is going to be very good. I am still trying to figure out how to use all the "whistles and bells" but that's what makes new cars fun.

Good luck.

Dave

We just took a rive down to Washington Ford in Washington, Pa. because they had 41 2010-2012 Escapes but none with the package combo that we really wanted so we looked at the C-Max and pre-owned 2013 model Escapes and really liked them over the older model for the interior room, options, etc... Found a 2013 Gingerale colored Escape SEL with 11k miles for $28k. I'm going to do some searching aroung for pre-owned 21013's now but really liked the one we checked out.

:supercool:

Washington! That's my roots, though I never lived there.

I hate car shopping. Good luck!

Looking at other makes and models to get more comparisons to vehicles in the smaller SUV class. Just looked at the Jeep Liberty, Compass and Patriot last night, I like the room inside all three of them compared to others and the prices are cheaper surprisingly. Anyone have any of these vehicles (2012-2013)?

Jerry,

I rented a jeep patriot for 2 weeks. My thoughts are it is a cheap tin can.....

My brother has a '09 liberty. Seems to be holding up well. At 80K.....

My wife has a 2010 Escape XLT V6 FWD, the Escapes are pretty nice compact SUVs. My sister has a 2008 4WD and it has been great for her.

Our escape has 32,000 miles on it. The torque converter went out around 28,000 miles. The trans still shifted, but would flare and had some pretty harsh shifts. The 2009-2012 Escapes have a 6 speed trans, which is known for having issues. I'm not sure if the 2011 or 2012 have a fix for this issue.

If you find one check the transfluid to see if its burnt. I check the fluid often in the Escape as I noticed it started looking dark around 8k. I have a feeling my torque converter was having issues from day one.

Two other issues we have had is a failed throttle body, since it's drive by wire I wasn't supprized, figured we got a bad one from the bunch

Just brought the car in for a new water pump as I noticed it was leaking coolant from the water pump weep hole. Tech said the water pump impeller looked beat up, so they flushed the coolent system and found a LOT of aluminum block casting material in the system. Probably didn't clean up the block well enough before it was made up.

Overall we like the car, it has tons of power and rides pretty nice. The stereo is just a base sync system but puts out some good tones. Between my sisters 08 4WD and my FWD, I feel like the 4WD has a better feel on the road, might just be due to weight distribution.

wife had an 08 XLT 4X4 4 cyl.

didnt keep it long as it was very slow and the build quality was sub-par imo.

nice size a good fuel econ was the plus but the negatives out weighed the positives.

sold it for a 2010 scion xb.

[Broken External Image]:

Latest posts