Ford Escape CEL P0400 ??

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob McDonald

Reaction score
Do any of you folks out there know of a good Ford Escape forum (like this forum) that specializes on the Ford Escape?

My daughter-in-law brought my son's Escape over to so I could pull the code for a Check Engine Light (CEL) that had shown up. The light was not currently on so there had been at least 3 start cycles where the failure was not present. BTW, on the Escape, the is called the 'Service Engine Soon' light.

Anyway, I put my ScanGauge on it and the history showed 1 P0400 code. All I have been able to find so far is that it is an 'EGR Flow Malfunction'

I am hoping to find a user forum where others may have some experience with the Escape and it's various quirks and problems.

Thanks in advance for any leads you can provide.

Uncle_Bob

A P0400 code indicates insufficient EGR flow. This could be caused by several things: restricted or carboned up passages, sticking pintle on EGR valve, or a problem with the vacuum supply to the EGR sensors.

The computer commands EGR operation and the Backpressure Transducer measures the pressure (or lack of it) to determine how well the EGR valve did in allowing EGR flow. The Transducer has several hoses going to it and this seems to be a common failure point in getting a P0400 code. So before you automatically assume that you have a bad EGR valve or carboned up passages, take a minute to closely examine the hoses going to the Exhaust Gas Backpressure Transducer. If you find on cracked or in bad shape, replace it. Also check to make sure all the hoses are attached to the proper port.

Thanks for the suggestions, Bill. Next time the son is over here with the Escape, I will take a look if I can. Of course, i need to find out which engine he has in it and where all the components are located on it.

First couple of years on escapes. There were many DPFE failures. Just like the tracs. We experianced 2 failures on our '01 escape ourselves.

Latest posts