Ford Edge : Your Thoughts?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The wife and I went and test drove the Edge SEL AWD last night. It was a sunny day, temp about 25 F, the roads were dry but frost heaved.

The Edge drives and rides really nice! Smooth ride, quiet, and it feels stable. The 3.5L v6 sounds OK, and accelerates pretty decent, very smooth transmission. Not as quick out of the hole as the Sport Trac, but fairly strong and smooth at highway speeds. You can feel the weight of the Edge when accelerating and braking - it's just not quick and direct feeling. Somewhat like the Sport Trac in this respect, it doesn't encourage fast driving, more of a comfortable highway cruiser. Of course, I'm also used to driving the wife's SVT Focus, which has amazing steering and brakes to go along with decently quick acceleration. The SVTF does encourage fast driving!

The interior of the Edge is a nice design. We drove a model without the sunroof, so it had a lot of headroom. I like the 2 stage seat heaters, and the power seats that can be pre-set for 2 users. The Audiophile sound system does not sound as good in the Edge as the ST, which is strange considering it is basically the same system. The back window is small, good to see the Edge had the backup warning beeper. I am not fond of the automatic climate control - you have to push one button several times to scroll through where you want to direct the air. I don't like the auto climate control in the Sport Trac either - just give me 3 dials to use! Use the Auto function, and the fan goes to high to try to adjust the temperature - you have to turn it down manually. When the truck feels it has reached the temperature you have pre-set, it will then totally shut off the heat, and blow cold air out the vents.

The Edge is nice, but the pricing seems a little high (40k Canadian), and the fuel economy rating is not very good. We drive a lot of miles, so we need something more fuel efficient.

Overall it is a nice vehicle, but I didn't get the "I have to have this!" feeling like I did in the 2007 Sport Trac.

Tiger,

AWD is superior to 4x4...just ask my wife. She knows all and for the things that really counts holds the majority opinion in our family. Case-in-point, if the roads are slick, she wants her AWD Mountaineer and not my 4x4 ST, and she says she won't ever drive a car that isn't AWD again.

TJR

Sure, manufacturers may call them "Automatic 4x4", but that's more of a marketing term then an accurate description.

On our Explorer, Automatic 4x4 is not AWD. It is RWD until the wheels slip. When they slip, the transfer case will kick into 4x4 mode until traction is established. There is no center differential. It is close to AWD, but in no way is it an AWD system.

Tom

It all depends, TJR. AWD is superior to all drive types in nearly all conditions, ON ROAD, but when you take a left and head into the woods, AWD simply falls short of a true 4x4 system. You'll not find an AWD system in a Jeep Wrangler or Benz Unimog or Land Rover Defender any time soon.

Right, Tiger...as I said, it's my wife's opinion. She doesn't go offroad.

A majority of the off-road capable vehicles sold in this country never go truly "off road".

TJR

Latest posts