Ford Edge : Your Thoughts?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Josh Langel

Reaction score
I am going to be buying a new vehicle soon.

Right now I am looking at a fully loaded CR-V AWD, but the new Edge is looking mighty fine in orange.

Anyone here have any thoughts/info about the Edge? What do you guys think?

I priced one on the net for 31k (roughly), but I figured I could get a hell of a deal...

-Josh

Well you will break it and hate ford in a week after owning it.....:D:D

I like the edge over the CRV any day....:cool:

Todd Z

Personally, I do not like the new Ford coming off the line. They have that cheap Japanese plastic feel. I guess we are being told that is what quality feels like, so we accept it as such.

The Edge is cool, though, I am not sold on those goofy CUV's. That moonroof option is really cool. The 3.5L DOHC engine is a powerful Mo-Fo and will scare the piss out of you. I have never driven one, but that is what the salesmen are telling me. Maybe I might take one for a spin.

As for getting a deal, you can contact me if you need a PIN number.

Tom

Yeah, I want to test drive one maybe some time in the next week...

Is the Edge based off any current model drivetrain?

Thanks for the offer, Caymen.

Last edited by a moderator:
The 3.5L DOHC engine is a powerful Mo-Fo and will scare the piss out of you. I have never driven one, but that is what the salesmen are telling me. Maybe I might take one for a spin.

Maybe the GT or Shelby GT Mustang of the Ford products would make me feel that way but I highly doubt the Edge would.

I really like the Escape/Mariner. I wanted to get my wife a 2007 Mariner. There was a chance of me getting layed off at work, so we decided to wait. Soon after, her Pontiac decided to break down. So we went to the dealer and ended up getting a 2000 Explorer needing some work cheap. After the repairs, we were still $2,000 under book value. She has fallen in love with that Explorer and we decided we do not need a new vehicle.

As usual, Ford comes up with some lame brain look, and decides to incorporate it into the entire line-up. I hate the looks of the 2008 Escape and because of it, our Explorer will be kept until 2010, maybe even longer. I was planning on replacing my Trac in 2012. If Ford doesn't decide to trash the F-150, I may have to go that route. I will not buy another Sport Trac.

I am dissapointed with the 2008 Escape. The body looks goofy. Rear drum brakes on all models compared to the drum FWD and Disk AWD. They are still using the 3.0L and not running the 3.5L.

As for the Hybrid, I feel they are a waste of money. Not impressed.

Tom

Mud-

I'm pretty sure the Edge is based on the 500...er, Taurus...platform. Same FWD/AWD option layout, same 3.5L motor, and I think the same CVT transmission. May be getting my transmissions mixed up there. The 500 gets good reviews on most accounts, except for the looks of course.

I'm with you on the orange color, I've seen just a a few in that color, but considerably more in different colors, and while the front end doesn't sell me, if I were in the market for that type of vehicles, the Edge would be on the list. I can fix the looks of it.

SST-

No kidding...a weak-sauce 3.5L FWD SUV car thing won't scare me. Shoot, if taking 400 HP sports car sideways around corners or somewhere north of 130 on open roads doesn't scare me, the Edge certainly won't. Sometimes people's ideas of "performance" is a bit laughable.

Actually, the Edge is based on the Mazda6 platform. I looked at them at the Chicago Auto Show. I was impressed. The Vista roof and large moonroof were awesome. Lots of room in both the front and rear seats, and quite a bit of cargo area out back. I'd seriously consider one if I was in the market for a CUV/SUV.

The Ford Edge is a mid-size crossover SUV under the Ford marque. The Edge is based on the Ford CD3 platform, originally launched on the Mazda 6 Sedan. This platform is also shared with the Lincoln MKX, Mazda CX-9 crossovers, the Ford Fusion, Mercury Milan, and the Lincoln MKZ sedans.

Shoot, if taking 400 HP sports car sideways around corners or somewhere north of 130 on open roads doesn't scare me, the Edge certainly won't. Sometimes people's ideas of "performance" is a bit laughable.

Sometimes people's imagination of driving ability is laughable.

You guys do not honestly think I was saying that a Ford Edge would skunk a Ferrari Enzo. It was an expression. Compared to the 3.0L engine, the 3.5 is a suprise that is welcomed. It is in no way a slouch and can carry its own.

Then again, I guess driving a 400 HP sports car around corners at over 130 HP makes you a know it all about performance.

Tom

Yep, I'd wait when the 3.5 Duratecs are available for them (08 models?). Also, interior is easy on the eyes but may lack features (such as extra storage compartments) that competition readily provides. Otherwise, I think the Edge is a neat and good-lookin ride.

No Tom, I didn't think that at all. It was more of a statement towards the salesperson.

And yes, I do believe a person that is involved in racing has more knowledge about performance than a person that is not involved in racing.

Tom,

You said that the salesman said the Edge will "scare the piss outta you", so I'm not sure why you're the one getting all offended. Salesmen always pull that "performance" pitch to the guys. Its like they think guys only buy any vehicle based on how it preforms. Those sales guys always over-pitch performance, and its funny.

The salesmen I talk to know me pretty well. Theresa used to work there and they were even invited them to our wedding. They were not trying to sell me anything. They know better.

Tom

Haven't driven an Edge, but I must say that they look MUCH better in person than in photos. Larger than I thought they'd be, and the proportions seem well-balanced. It's more like a Nissan Murano than a CRV.

Also, I drove a Toyota Rav4 as a rental car last week and hated it. Granted, it was a low-end rental version, but after all of the rave reviews I read when that thing came out I was seriously underwhelmed.

Mud Flap, my wife and I are in the boat for a new car too. It has to be AWD (her requirement, her car).

We have the Nissan Murano and Buick Rendevous on our short list. Will not buy the Edge...will never buy first model year again...been there, done that, didn't even get the t-shirt, only a bunch of problems.

TJR

I build them At the OAP Oakville assembly plant. Its is the only car/suv of ford other then a ST that I would concider buying. Actually if I had the extra $ Id be buying one for sure!

It handles really well pulls hard and has a luxurious feel inside!

Love yes I love the moon roof seats lay all the way back best seats ive ever sat in a Ford Vehicle!

Dash is well laid out and comfortable!

If I was to get one it would either be Black on Black or Orange on Black interior!

The Black leather is sweet highlighted with white stitch! Like I said best seats in a ford to date!

The only thing that ford didnt think of was a strandard transmission and weight.

Only come in an automatic! An it is the heaviest in its class! However the motor takes care of the extra weight. Its beefy I would feal confident in it, beating on it on rugged roads trails.

An option I recomnd getting is the trailer hitch if you plan on towing! the factory hitch is a complete inner bumber replacement! ight as well get the right one from the start instead of having to remove the outer bumper, exhaust and heat sheilds to access the bolts.

If stadard transmission was an option then Id be finding the $ for the Edge.

And no Im not sayin this cause I work there. I talked trash about the freestar piece of junk we used to build! Finally we are building a product that I am confident in and happy to promote! I really really think anyone purchasing an Edge will be extremely happy with it.

Just get the hitch and the roof options.lol.

Any other questions about it or options let me know Ill try to answer and if I cant ill ask someone at the plant.!.

Cheers

Rob

Cool, robpxp...

Yeah, I am not a big fan of Ford, but I don't want to write this car off yet... I want to test drive it to see what it's like, but the Hybrid Escape in green is hott!