Ford battery life

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeffksf B

Reaction score
So I got to thinking about what might need replacing on my ST soon and remembered the battery is orginal (2001). It starts fine (even in this past cold Jan. in Cleveland) but I gotta think that it's living on borrowed time now at 9yrs old. Called up the local Ford dealership and it turns out they have $20 rebates right now for Motorcraft batteries. I've owned alot of Fords in the past and so has my family and they have all seemed to have long lasting batteries.

i have an '03 and upon looking at the battery i saw the water was almost completely gone. went to walmart saturday and got a new battery installed now it starts like a champ.

if ford is having a rebate i'd go with them (otherwise i would never go to a ford dealership if ur trac isnt under warranty). walmart cost me $73!! but oh well

friend of mine has a '99 f-150 and just replaced the original battery in it. when it went, it went! left him stranded about 40 miles from home.

dutch

Learned a Lesson last month about so-called maintainence free Batts.Other than AGMs and Gel cells.all batts have Dist water in them, all have removeble caps.

Ck the water leval as a reg. maintainace item.

My 2 yr old stang Batt took a dump last month, was totally dry with 3 dead cells.

Replaced under warranty.

Asked the service guy about they say the batts never have to be checked, he chuckled and said B.S, ck the water every 6 mos.I will now.

My 96 Cobra still has the original Motorcraft battery in in. I know I am living on borrowed time, which is why I carry the batter jump pack in the trunk. It has kind of turned into a game of how long will it last!!!

My 03 has the original batt in it.... Others i know with 01's had well over 100K miles and did not need batterys....

The OEM ones last a long time.....

Todd Z

I got 118,000 miles on my '01 with the OEM battery before it gave me issues.. Picked up an Optima Red top.. Love it. Gotta admit, I never thought the OEM would have lasted so long.

My 01 w/ about 101K is still original and it's only struggled a little bit when we hit -25F twice this year. Might pick one up before next winter though

104,000 miles on my 01

The sales guy said it would be either $59 or $79 after rebate, he didn't say why there are 2 listings, maybe 2 differnt amp ratings available?

My 02 just quit after 7+ yrs,I bought the exact same one at my Ford dealer.I printed a coupon from genuine service.com that got it for for 70.00.I thought that was a good price considering advance and napa were at 83-89.00.Based on what I am reading here they have good batteries for the the STs.

To all you people who have 5+ years on your battery let me start off by saying I hate each and every one of you....move to Arizona and see how long that battery lasts you:p

Sounds like Motorcraft got something right, big time. Those stories are really impressive! No such luck with our Fords at work. Running 100 watt mobile radios and assorted other amp-sucking gadgetry kills 'em in 2 years. We only have to replace them once, though. The Interstate batteries we replace them with have a good warranty, so we just keep getting free ones when they die!

Can understand the cold temps, takes alot more amperage to crank a cold engine, like -20 degs, but hot I do not understand, maybe the extreame heat degrades batts, dunno.

Still running the original in my 01. We only had two days above freezing in the last two months. Jan. had 21 days below 0. Still turns over good. I know some day it won't, but its a game with me also. I will not fix it untill it breaks. I check the water level once a year. Every winter I think this will be it, but it just keeps going and going and going.

Latest posts