Font window tint

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Rice

Reaction score
I want to match the tint on my front windows to that of the back windows and have a couple questions about it. What % tint are the rear windows that are already smoked darker? And What % would I need up front to match it to that? I think the front are smoked a bit already but not as much as the rear windows...

I can't back it up with anything, but I seem to recall being told the rears were 35ish%, but when I had my truck done I had them do 20% all around and love it.

I was thinking of going a little darker on back but wasnt sure...I have 20% on my car and I like it. I wasn't sure if adding the 20% on the back of the ST would make it too dark or not. I want 20% on the front, so if I have to go darker to match that I wouldnt mind. Can you see out at night when backing up? I'm in the woods a lot, so will need to be able to see some what...though I could just put the rear window down I guess.

20% sounds right, out of Louisville, KY.

Unfortunately state laws vary greatly.

In Hawaii it's 35% for front windows.

Stripped mine off to pass our annual safety check. :cry:

20% typically matches factory the best. I have 35% on my ST -- which is legal in my state. It's lighter than the factory rear. I had 20% on my Mariner, and now my Aspen. It's a perfect match.

20% over the existing factory rear tint makes it hard to see backing up at night if there are no street lights. So when I'm camping I just drop the rear window if I need to backup. It's not often enough for me to really complain about it. I can see it being an issue for other though.

Factory rears are about 20% to 21%. In Ohio, we are only allowed 50% front, but I took the gamble and went with 35%. It looks much lighter than the rears and havent had an issue with the law because of them.

Tom

Here in AZ legal is 35% on the front, but I have 20% all around on my car and I have never had a problem. I think I might just do the 20% all the way around instead of just the fronts...it gets HOT in the sun here in AZ!

I went 35% looks dam close.. you can see it in this pic, slightyl lighter on the front...

Todd Z

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
When I had my fronts tinted I told them to match the back windows assuming that was legal.

A couple years later I got pulled over to a safety checkpoint in Manhattan (NYC). The cop asked me what I thought the % was. I asked him what was legal he said 35%, I said then I'll go with 35%.

He put a meter on it and it was 17%. I didn't get a ticket since I am also a city worker but he told me eventually I would get caught by a cop who didn't care and gave me a ticket anyway. I was never pulled over again.

I don't know if tint fades or gets darker/lighter over time but that's what mine is. I assume it is 20% and the cops machine was a little off.

One thing I did notice is that the tops of the windows seem to be a slightly different shade, maybe because of the window vent visors? You only notice when the doors are open and the sun is shinning.

Hope this helps.

Here is a link to the tint laws by state.

Eddie <><

http://72.35.72.219/~library/14449/Auto%20tint%20laws.pdf.PDF

It says for NY front and rear sides 70%. Does that mean 70% visible as in 30% tint?

Johnny, I think the % is the amount of light allowed to pass thru.

The higher the %. The lighter the film.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts