Focus officially totaled

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jenn D

Reaction score
Well, the field adjuster from my insurance just called. He has inspected the Focus and determined a base value of $9,218, which is more than I actually owe (I didn't tell him that...). Plus, he said that if I can show receipts for proper engine maintenance and the tires, I can add on as much as about $500 more.

Also, I got ahold of FHP and the accident report is now available. I'll pick it up tomorrow. I asked the woman on the phone if fault was established, and she said that no where on the report does it say a citation was issued. So, I'm still not sure about that. She did say that at least one witness stayed and gave a statement.

So, it looks like everything is lining up. The only part that I'm sure of is whether or not my health insurance will help pay the hospital bills (i.e. my personal injury deductible is $1,000). Does anyone know? It would really suck to have to pay out $1,500 in deductibles for something that was just a freak accident.

I would think that since this accident was caused by another party hitting your vehicle, that you should be sending all of your bills to his insurance company. You shouldn't have to pay any deductibles, nor should your insurance (health or auto) be charged for any of this. Even if no ticket was issued, it's highly likely that he's still at fault. I'd consult your insurance agent for advice on this, or better yet, an attorney. Most attorneys will offer free advice about these types of things. And most of the time insurance companies will "negotiate" percentages of fault.

Last edited by a moderator:
There was really no question about it being totaled ......... was there? I'm glad you're coming out so well on the valuation and again, so glad you came out in such good physical shape!!:cool:

don't know how florida law is, but here in missouri and pretty sure kansas, the police won't determine who's at fault anymore or even issue a citation in an accident, they leave that up to the lawyers. something about liability and double indemnity. if they issue a citation, they are saying you're quilty and then you can't be found quilty again in a lawsuit. something like that, i'm NOT a lawyer!!

imo, it's just another way for lawyers to get in your pocket!!

if you get a speeding ticket here in missouri, you can pay double the fine (in most cases) and it deesn't go on your record or raise your insurance....BUT, in most cases you've got to let a lawyer negotiate the process.

sounds like your insurance company is treating you right.

dutch

Jenn,

Sounds like this has the possibility of going to court. Since no citation was issued; which in my judgement should have been given to the driver of the Ranger that hit you because his tire blew. That is why I suggested to you to go to your doctor to create a paper trail on your injuries. You might want to get a lawyer to find the Ranger that hit you to inspect the other tires on his vehicle, and if found to be inadaquate then you have a case. The other thing is that it could have been a manufacturers defect too, and in that case you have another direction to go. I am not a fan of sueing, but I feel that there are times when it is necessary - you be the judge of that. Also, his insurance co. should pay for any work time lost.

Totalled??? Oh come on--That rear license plate looked salvageable!!! :lol:

Glad things seem to be coming around...

You should also get a settlement for pain and suffering, lost time at work, ect. I just got done with a settlement for a scooter accident I had. The other drivers insurance is defiantly responsible for your hospital bills.

If you have a good auto insurance company they should fight that the other guys insurance pay.

I had a fender bender in the parking lot at work, it was the end of the work day and the other lady and I backed out about the same time. The officer who came to the scene wouldn't issue a ticket because it was on private property. (I work in the Magistrate's office)and it's a one way, so it's "V" parking. The incident report stated that it was a "no fault" accident. My insurance company and I fought it. She hit my right back quarter panel right next to the gas tank door. Her vehicle didn't have any damage on her left rear corner bumper. My insurance and I were able to prove that I was 3/4 of the way out of the parking space when she basically backed out without looking(while talking on her cell). She kept saying it wasn't anybody's fault.

Long story short, her insurance company (Geico) finally agreed it was her fault and fixed my car plus provided a rental for two weeks.

I'll pray that this works out for you and you don't have to pay all those deductibles.

i don't think it being a total loss was ever in doubt. you are lucky to get that insurance price for the vehicle as if you were going to sell it, you would have fell short.

as far as the hospital bill deductible, your insurance company should cover all medical expense. not sure if that is the case in florida, but i believe it is.

don't worry about the fault issue as your insurance company will fight to get the money from the other vehicles insurance.

as jerry said, your vehicle can be replaced ;)

glad to hear your ok, don't sweat all the other things involved. :)

btw, interested in a replacement vehicle ?

a mint 06 scion xb is waiting for you across the state ;)

If there is any "consolation" to your traumatic ordeal, hope this helps your emotional and physical recovery.

Be strong, as we know you are. Bad things happen to "good" people more often than they should.

Best Always.

Well, we got the accident report today. Nothing spectacular to report. It does match the statement I gave to the insurance company to a T. I will be faxing it to them soon and we'll see what they say.

On a side note, as of last night, I started having trouble focusing with my eyes. Sometimes it worse than others. When I look at something, like text, it appears clear, and as I continue to look it gets fuzzy (but I can still read it). When I blink it goes back to clear and then fuzzy again. Also, when I'm in close-quarters, like my cubical at work, it's not so bad. But when I get up to walk across the floor, I have a hard time focusing across the room.

I don't want to be alarmed by this, and I have called to make an appointment with an ophthalmologist next week, but it's really freaking me out. I can only hope that it's a result of my noggin getting bumped around. I just don't want it to be permanent. Maybe Lasik1 can chime in? or someone who knows a little about a lot? any thoughts to ease my mind?

Jenn - I had similar vision issues after a concussion, it might not hurt to see your doc again.

The worst part is that being in an accident is like having the plague to a doctor. No one will see me unless I pay a ridiculous amount out of pocket. The ophthalmologist was the only one I could get in to see. I have an appointment for Monday morning at 8:30am, unless it gets worse, at which point I'll go to the ER again (i really do not want to do that...).

Latest posts