Fluid Information

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Craig Childs

Reaction score
After searching for a very long, frustrating time, I have given up, and I will make a new post about all this stuff, and hopefully I will have the answers I am looking for.

1. How much rear differential fluid should I use? And what is the weight I need? What is the friction modifier that I need to mix in?

2. How many quarts of transmission fluid do I need for a full flush? What about for just dropping the pan? What weight do I need? Do I need any additives for the transmission like the rear differential?

3. How much coolant do I need if I am going to mix the coolant and water myself? And what type of fluid do I need for my '05? (green? yellow?....) Is there any noticeable difference in temperature or anything else of the like if I add Royal Purple Purple Ice?

Oh, and what are the recommended change intervals for the rear diff, tranny fluid and coolant?

I know there's a lot of questions, thank you in advance for any help

Last edited by a moderator:
Craig all of that is in the owners manual. How many miles on your '05. you may not need to do the differential. You wont need the modifier unless you have the limited slip. My '04 has the gold anti-freeze. Mix it 50-50.

Yeah, I figured all of it would be in the manual, but it's not really handy right now. I have nearly 20K on it and I thought that it would be coming up on the intervals where things need to be changed/replaced, so i figured I'd ask while I was thinking about it. Thanks for the info Eddie

I put a drain plug in the tranny pan, and change the fluid in the pan every other oil change. The first time you get about half of the old fluid. The second time you get about half old fluid and half new fluid, so 75% of the old fluid is changed. The third time 87.5% and so on. And change the trans filter when it says to in the manual. My Trac has 140k and going strong with this method. My GMC went to 283k with the factory trans before I sold it, with a funny noise in the trans, but still going. The new owner says I shouldn't have sold it.

Others will disagree, but this works for me.:)

Link to on line owners manual below....

Todd Z

1) Depends if you have A LSD or not.... Use the 1 bottle of FORD friction modifier.

LSD rear uses 75w140 (01-03) Synthetic and the Open diff uses 80w90 Synthetic 04 and up uses 75W-90 Fuel Efficient High Performance Synthetic Rear Axle Lubricant 8,8 inch conventional and Traction-Lok axles 2.9-3.1L (5.5-5.8 pints)

2) No additives, I flushed 12 qts, Use Motorcraft ( from Ford) MERC V ONLY. You can dot he pan and filter , But how many miles, Was it ever done before ??

3)Your 05 uses FORD premium GOLD coolant... I used 2 Gallons to make sure it was good and flushed.... Forget that ice junk......

4) Recommended Diffs, is lifetime, Tranny and coolant ever 60K....

Todd Z