Flat spot on tire

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Taco Jackson

Reaction score
2004 Trac with 22k miles, bought it at 14k, rotated the tires at 15k and now again at 22k. This time the dealership service guy showed me a flat spot on what is now the front right passenger side tire. He speculates that the tires were never rotated in the first 14k miles before I got it, which is what caused it. Whatever the case may be, now there's a nice annoying dut-dut-dut-dut as we drive. Its doesnt like, shake the truck, but it's definately audible/tactile and pretty annoying.

I guess I'm debating the options. I live in the Midwest, the tires themselves (they're the factory ones) are still in pretty damn good shape. Tons of tread left on them. I don't particularly want to put $500 into tires that don't technically need to be replaced. The way I see it I could,

1. Spend $500+ on new tires to replace these otherwise still good ones (ugh)

2. Spend $200 on 2 replacement matching Wrangler RT/S's and use 2 of the current good ones with them.

3. Rotate the flat-spotted one back to the rear where it's less noticeable and stop rotating the tires, just let them wear down faster for a year then replace them with option 1.

Any other ideas, and which would you all do if you didn't have a money tree growing in your back yard?

Resolve the problem that caused the flat spot. I am not sure that I would attribute it to rotation. My first guess would be a busted shock on that tire. The flat spot will eventually drive out and the wear pattern will return to normal if the problem is corrected. I had an old blazer with flat spots all around the big ass off road tires due to worn shocks. Got new shocks and the mechanic told me the flat spots would be gone after a couple thousand miles and he was right. It sure was noisy tho until they self corrected.

Not rotating the tires would not cause a flat spot. Either the previous owner locked the tire because the ABS wasn't functioning properly, there is a tire out of balance and as it rotates, the side that is the heavies is smacking the ground, you have a bad shock, or a tire is out of round.

First off, I do not recomend buying two new Wrangler RT/S tires. They are not a good tire. Goodyear, IMO, does not make a good tire.

Not rotating your tires causes tires to wear funny. Lets say the right front is slightly out of camber. So the inner side of the gets slightly worn. You then put that tire on the left rear. The areas that are not worn as bad will then get the brunt of the wear. Then you put that same tire on the left front. Lets say the tow is slightly off on that tire. Now the whole tire gets wear. You then put that tire on the right rear. Since the tire has been in all possible positions, it will get as much wear as possible from all angles.

Bad shocks or an out of balance tire will cause flat spots. Locking a tire up will to, though it is highly unlikely.

Tom

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree, Some one locked the tires up and flattened that spot....

The good years do stink, But if money is an issue, you can take the spare if it is good, and buy only 1 tire and put the flat spotted tire on the spare rim...

Todd Z

Todd,

I wouldn't even buy a new tire. Take the spare tire and mount it on the wheel with the flat spot. Mount that tire onto the spare wheel. Why waste your money on one overpriced crappy Goodyear tire?

Tom

Put the flat spotted tire on the back, pour 1/2 gallon of bleach on it, power brake the flat spot away and enjoy the show!

I'm kidding... But it would be fun!

As for the burnout, I'm not kidding. I've done it. It can work, not perfectly, but better than before. It does make it rounder, unless the flat spot is down to the bottom of the tread.

Puttting the spare on the ground is a better option, though. And the thump-thump-thump will remind you to get the tire fixed if you ever need to use the flat-spotted spare!

The cupping is caused by your shitty shocks. Get new ones. Rotate the cupped tires to the back, and replace them with anything else but goodyears.

I'm running Goodyears and stock shocks at 63K. Everyone complains, but these tires ride smoother than my Michelins, grip much better in wet weather, and are quieter on the interstate. Also cost a heck of a lot less than my Michelins did.

One flat spot on a tire would be caused by a skid if the truck is equip. with 2wheel anti-lock that tire might have been on the wheels not equip. with the ani-lock and may have skidded a flat spot into it. If your truck has 4-wheel anti-lock then the anti-lock may have operated wrong. If the tire is cupped all the way around then get your shocks checked. I would swich it out with the spare like one of the other guys said.

-Geoff

Last edited by a moderator: