Flash the Computer Memory?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick Ohnsman

Reaction score
My '03 ST is in the shop today. The truck suddenly lost power and could only get to 40 mph regardless of how much gas I gave it. It also had a rough idle and smelled bad, kind of like it was running way too rich. I thought maybe a bad O2 sensor. I limped it home and the next day, when I started it up and drove it to the dealer, it of course ran fine. The dealer mechanic could not find anything in particular wrong with it and, since the check engine light did not come on, there were no codes as a clue.

They've done several things, a general tune-up, plugs replacement, and a new one to me - they are "flashing the computer." Wazzat? Has anyone heard of this procedure and what might it do to fix the problem??

Probably just going to undo the battery for about 1/2 hour and charge you for a "reflashing". The description of your problem sounds like you got a look at the "ST Gremlin". I just had it yesterday. Haven't had it for a while since I usually undo the battery every Spring and Fall, but didn't do it this Fall. I just pulled to the side of the road and shut it down and restarted. Runs fine now.

So is there such a thing as a re-flashing at all or is this just a way of saying "rebooting" (by taking away electrical power for a while and then restoring it?) Is there such a thing as "installing updated firmware" (like you do with other electronic devices?)

Yes there is, but I don't think there's an "updated" program for the 1st Gen ST's. I may be wrong, but I'm sure someone will chime in. They may just reput the original back on, but you can do that by undoing the battery.

As I said before, the same thing's happened to mine 3 times now. This last time, I knew it was going to do it right when I started the vehicle. Started awkward and then wouldn't make it up the hill to my house. As soon as I gave it gas, it wanted to stall.

Our 4.0L V6 ecm is known to have a gremlin. I have had it once. Shut down and restart solves it. Also A weak battery Can cause electrical gremlins. Had that once also. Replaced the battery, all was then normal.

+1 on what ED said...... I bet it was the ST grem....

Todd Z

+2 on the gremlin. Had it happen twice on my '02. Just shut her down and restart her. First time it did it, the ST was about 2 years old. The second time was about 9 months ago and my ST is up to 150,000 + miles on her.

Latest posts