Fix for slow IE7

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

George C

Reaction score
No one specifically asked for this but since installing the final version of IE7 I have noticed websites loading very slowly. I even tried the patch to speed up the "phishing filter" but that didn't help either. There are a couple easy steps to follow and there will be a huge difference. I know there will be a lot of people saying use Firefox but I like IE much better. I have already done these steps without any problems but follow them at your own risk-I'm not responsible for what happens :)

Internet Options, Advanced tab...

1) Disable the phishing filter. Yes, you will have less protection but this improves the speed. The sites are not checked against Microsoft's lists and it improves performance.

2)Choose the option to "Empty temporary internet files folder when browser is closed."

This part is in the control panel...

3)Remove cftmon.exe from your system. This will also speed up the overall performance of your system. (Ctfmon.exe activates the Alternative User Input Text Input Processor (TIP) and the Microsoft Office Language Bar.)-- Usually not necessary!

Go to Start, then Control Panel, then Regional and Language Options, then click Languages tab, then Details, then Advanced tab, then put a check next to “Turn off advanced text service” then hit Apply. Then click start run type: Regsvr32.exe /u msutb.dll and ctfmon.exe will be gone for good.

Hope this helps. I have a powerful computer and the speed differences are like night and day! If it works for you let me know.

George

Last edited by a moderator:
What are you some computer guy or something ???? ;):lol::lol::lol:

Todd Z

I made these changes and it made a big difference for me also.

On a side note, I had McAfee A/V and got an update for it that offered more "protection"... dang near shut my network down. Looks like it was scanning the entire network for issues and was doing so from my desktop. Needless to, I stopped it and removed it.... it ma have gotten better after a while, once it finished all the scans, but I'll never find out.

Using AVG now and it seems to run better..... especially after the above changes to IE7.

Thanks for the tips.

Your suggestions made a HUGE difference. Brought me back to what I was use to seeing before the IE7 Upgrade...

Thanks...

Just gave it a try. Will let you know how it goes. Have to reboot now. :)

George, I did everything and all was ok till the:

Then click start run type: Regsvr32.exe /u msutb.dll and ctfmon.exe will be gone for good.

For some reason when I go to "start", "run", and type in all that, it comes up that it is unable to find. (or something like that.) Any suggestions?;)

I copied and pasted just this part:

Regsvr32.exe /u msutb.dll

and it worked fine for me. Maybe you typed something wrong?

George,

The tip you gave seems to have helped me some, any other speed tips? I'm sure windows is loading plenty of useless stuff.

Thanks

I reduce the number of services running on every machine I get my hands on. Services usually run in the background, but you can get an idea of how many are running by 1) looking at the System Notification area (the area to the right of the taskbar) and see how many icons you get there at startup, and 2) look at the Processes tab in Task Manager. Currently, I'm running 25 processes on this laptop.

See the link below. It's an oldie, but still a goodie - and very instructive on to how to identify and disable unnecessary services (much of what's in it has been incorporated by Microsoft into Windows XP service packs since it was written).

Remember the Black Viper site about turning off services running in the back ground?

Here it is:

Dang!! I got 63 processes running. Now I KNOW I need to do some serious housekeeping.

Where is a good place to identify which processed are doing what and what loaded them? and where to tell them to stop loading on boot?

Edit

DUH! Sorry Kefguy. If only I would learn to read properly and COMPLETELY. lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Bob, go to the link I put 1 post above yours. It will tell you about all the processes that windows puts in there.

If you have some from other programs, which I know you do, then you can do a google search for the process listed (Type in the Run box "services.msc") and see what it is for. Some you may not need or want and some you might have to leave. For example: I left one for Tivo Beacon because I need it for the Tivo box to be seen on the network.

Between what George posted and what was on the Black Viper site you should get a speed increase.

George C '02 you sound like you know what you are doing, maybe you can help me with my problem,

for about a week now my computer seems to freeze like in five minutes of me turning it on. I turn it on and i am working or surfing the net then all of a sudden i doen't do nothing. i have the ability to click on icons or go to the start menu and for example select control panel but nothing pops up. the programs i select seem to be running but never show up on my screen. When this happens i hit Ctrl+Alt +Delete and my system seems to be idle :(. The funny thing :lol:is when i Shutt down, Stand by or Log off I can see the computer doing what i asked it to. All off a sudden the Control Panel, Intenet Explorer, ect all pop up and in the order i clicked on them.

My first thoughts we Virus, or Spyware but i ran all he Programs i could to get rid of them and nothing.

I also ran MSConfig and turned of all Automatically ran programs and Services(i think) and it didn't help.

Thanks in advace

Try WindowsBBS.com they are a great bunch of people and have helped me many times.

Latest posts