first oil change?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geoff Barker

Reaction score
I have a near new 07. I am about to depart on a long trip where I will be in the middle of nowhere when the first recommended oil change comes due at 3000 miles. I thought I would change oil before I go (at 1000 miles) and change it again at 4000 after the trip. I went to Mr. Lube and the guy discouraged me from changing the oil early with a new vehicle, he said it would make it take longer to break-in and if anything I should extend the period for the first change to more than 3000 miles. Any thoughts on this? I always thought new oil was a good thing.

To me, I'd wait to either 3k to 5k before changing it. Just for fact the motor is still getting broke into til at least 10k. But if it makes ya feel better about getting it done, might as well change it over to full syn oil while your at it. Then won't have to change til 7k - 10k miles.

I changed my oil at 600 miles, then 1500 and then 3K from there....

They don't use break in oil any more, Sounds like the guy just didn't want to work on the truck....

Todd Z

I doubt that it will take any longer to break in, but I would wait until I returned from the trip and then change the oil. I didn't do my 1st oil change on my 07 V8 until 5K.....

I'm sure the guy would love to work on your truck, those guys don't turn down oil change business for nothing.....

Aaron,

I have to disagree, After working in the Fast lube business for 4 years, you would be amazed what gets turned down and the reasons for it...

New car = basic 19.99 oil change. it hurts the sales ticket, No extra Up sale... unless the customer asks about Synthetic oil, then it got changed, otherwise they got a line of BS and were sent away...

I found my guys doing this a lot.

Todd Z

I would agree.............break in additives are no longer used at the factory. I prefer to change the oil the first time at ~ 1000 miles mainly to get a new filter in place.

Are you sure it's 3000 miles? Every new Ford I've got for the last 10 years said to change every 5000 except for "severe service". Anyway, I change the first time at 2500 miles, then at 5000 and every 5000 after. Works well for me.

Just bought 5 quarts of Motorcraft oil and filter last night, will change the Trac tonight or tomorrow.

I changed my '07 Ltd to Mobil 1 EP and Mobil 1 filter at 500 miles. Then changed them again at 3000 miles. Now I am going to stick with 7-8000 mile oil and filter changes.

I'd recommend a break in period of 3000 miles. Thats just me. It wouldn't hurt to change in now, but I would switch to synthetic.

The manual says recommended at 5000 kms, and required at 10,000 kms, but we are metric here in Canada and most of you are American so I thought it would talk your language. I didn't want to offend anyone (kilometers were invented by the French). Although I've noticed some of you talk in kms when it comes to things like tire life. There doesn't appear to be a concensus here other than there is no harm in changing oil early, so I think that's what I will do. Thanks.