Finished

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Josh OH

Reaction score
Well, I've finally finished all mods that me and my wife wanted to do to our ST. All of them were done last month, but I just had the exhaust tip pushed in about 2 1/2" yesterday. (Thanks for the advice on that Todd Z) Best of all we kept our 7 yr 100,000 mile warranty too.

Final pics are in my libary, but here's a snapshot. Thanks to ALL of you for the advice on changes and options.

[Broken External Image]:

And now your going to sell it.....

Just kidding. Looks good. Enjoy it for a while before you buy something else to play with.

Oh.. Forgot to tell ya'll... The areo turbine is an ok buy.. Since I've had it i've gotten a 1.5mpg increase and I've refueled the tank now 3 times this week. (I've done alot of driving to test it out..) I'll post some wav files when I get the chance so you can hear the sound, but it's a great system. I think if your looking for a single exhuast, gain mpg, and want to get the flowmaster sound then go with the areo exhaust. If your looking for dual exhaust, no matter what, go for flowmaster.

If anyone has any questions on the system, just shoot me an e-mail and I'll be glad to help.

~Josh

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks good, I like the rims a lot, and I am not a chrome rim person..

Todd Z

It did help on mpg a little. I saw about a 1/2 mpg increase on stock parts before i got my larger than stock tires, but after that I can't say because all of my gear ratios and rpms changed dramaticly when I got those on...

~Josh

everyone(well lots of people) says the tornado thing didn't work,but i got 2 mpg out of mine on our myrtle beach trip!!

Where's the antenna topper? A month of mods and no antenna topper, that's like not having 'cow bell' - I need more cow bell!

Looks good!

Nice rims, they look great on that truck.

Those tornado things do work, but the effectiveness greatly depends on the typical location of the throttle body valve. Since they "spin" the air, if the TB is say, less than 30% open, it completely disrupts the flow and "spin" of the incoming air charge anyways. Thus, little to no benefit.

If the TB is more than 30% open, the spin effect does actually make it into the part of the intake manifold where the critical mixing occurs. I use 30% as a guesstimate.

The best variants of the tornado devices actually mount behind the TB in the form of a TB spacer, where the spin of the air is less effected by the TB valve position. I do not know if any of these are made to fit the ST.....

So if you are cruising at 75MPH, where the throttle is somewhat open, or you drive around with your foot to the floor, you may notice an improvement....

If you baby your ST around town, and never get over 65, you probably won't see much....

Tornado? Please let me know how putting an obstruction in the intake path of a "dry" intake can help? I can not figure any rationale other than when you buy it you are conscious of the fuel mileage and use a lighter foot on the pedal. You can swirl the air anyway you want when entering the trhrottle bodey of a "dry" intake system and no amount of air/fuel mixing will take place. Why? Because there is no fuel to mix in the throttle body. That's like hoping a throttle body spacer will add mixing. It don't work either on a dry intake.

The only way a tornado could possible help is if the air/fuel mixture is inefficiently lean and by putting a restriction in the air intake the air/fuel mixture is enriched as if a choke was on. The solution there is to find out what's causing the lean mixture and fix that. That's my take on it.

MikeC

Well.. Although I can see your point on the tornado, I also have a little more knowledge than most on this one. Reason being is because I've worked on multi million dollar fighter jets the past 5 years and learned alot about various things, including aerodynamics and airflow. I am also an explosive expert for the navy as well.. The tornado system in concept is effective. By creating a vortex of airflow in the combustion chamber rather than a straight airflow, you increase the mixture speed between the fuel and the air before it is actually combusted. More air = more intensity in a fire or explosion. (Combustion is a controlled explosion.) Therefore the less gas that is used to create the same amount of intensity of the explosion and you get more for your money.

However, the problem is just as AndyG put it. If the distance of the vortex is too far from the actual chamber, then it's pretty much a show piece and useless because the airflow dissipates its vortex before reaching the combustion chamber and becomes a straight airflow again.

The choice is yours, but I still believe that it's aided my ST on about .5 mpg before I got my new tires.

To answer Travis, I don't like antenna toppers. I think that they look stupid and have never found them to be appealing. They belong on soccer mom cars to me.. :lol:

~Josh

Mike,

Thats why I said they only seem to work when the TB is open a decent amount. The spinning effect of the air does reach the lower levels of the intake manifold when the TB is open. But when the TB is more closed, it completely interrupts any benefit. The only reason I know some of this stuff is the firm I work for was contracted to develop some electronic sensing devices for a company who makes these products. They used devices I designed to test their products, so I am somewhat familiar with the theory of operation.

They actually work better with a lead foot. If you get 10MPG with a lead foot, the device may bring you to 11. If you get 15 while babying, you will still get 15 while babying. This is due to the typical TB valve position in each of the above mentioned driving styles.

Anyways, I don't want to hijack a pefectly good thread, my apologies,

cheers,

Andy

Mike,

Thats why I said they only seem to work when the TB is open a decent amount. The spinning effect of the air does reach the lower levels of the intake manifold when the TB is open. But when the TB is more closed, it completely interrupts any benefit. The only reason I know some of this stuff is the firm I work for was contracted to develop some electronic sensing devices for a company who makes these products. They used devices I designed to test their products, so I am somewhat familiar with the theory of operation.

They actually work better with a lead foot. If you get 10MPG with a lead foot, the device may bring you to 11. If you get 15 while babying, you will still get 15 while babying. This is due to the typical TB valve position in each of the above mentioned driving styles.

Anyways, I don't want to hijack a pefectly good thread, my apologies,

cheers,

Andy

Latest posts