Finally made the firearm purchase.

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Schindler

1st Gen Owner
V6 Engine
Reaction score
Many of you remember, my wife and I were considering getting our CCW permits.

I was told that I plan on being a vigalante around the neighborhood.

For those that understand what the second amendment is all about, here is what we got.

S&W Model 642CT. Kames Sporting Goods in N. Canton, OH has them on sale for $549.00. This is with the Crimson Trace grips.

Very nice gun. Regular price is $609.00. I don't think I did too bad.

Here it is.

[Broken External Image]:

Tom

Nice personal gun, sounds like a good deal to me too...

Any target time with it yet ????

Looks small in the pic, How is the fit in your hand?? .... Might be too small for my sausage fingers... LOL :lol::lol::lol:

Todd Z

It fits in both mine and my wife's hands perfectly. We did not want something big and heavy. If it is too big, it defeats the purpose of Concealed Carry. Lightweight, small (1 7/8" barrel), decent caliber (.38 Special +P), and reliable. No hammer to deal with.

Simple and down to the point. Point where you want and pull the trigger. The laser will tell you where the bullet is going to hit.

No range time yet. We just came home with it today. In the next few weeks, we will take it down to the hills in southern Ohio and shoot it. Cheaper than paying range rental.

Tom

Nice choice. Just make sure it really is sighted in. At the ranges you would use that I'm sure it's fine, but you'll feel better after verifying that. You'll also find that different techniques between the two of you will likely result in slightly different impact points. Enjoy.

Nice little pea shooter, hope you never have to actually use it, at 38 cal your severely undergunned against the bad guys.

Tom,

You can't go wrong with a S&W. They are one of the best company's out there. Been around a long long time.

As for being a .38+P, a little under powered, but the bad guy will know you will not go down easy.

That is the most important thing.

You both need to practice. practice, and practice more. Not only in daylight, but at night too. without lights. For what you have this gun for, you do not need to be able to keep then all in the X ring. Just inside an 6"-7" pattern.

Use both right and left hand. practice getting it out of your belt, fanny pack or shoulder rig. How ever you intend to carry it. Draw it from there, not from a open carry hostler.

Have you taken the CCW class? If not sign up know. Know all the laws in your city/state. Get to know them very well.

I hope you NEVER have to use it, but if you do, do it for keeps. Do not take the time to bluff your way out of a problem, by then you will be dead.

Bad guys don't bluff well.

Very nice choice. Good for both of you. Practice inside of 10 yards, where most conflicts occur. Also practice in the evening, as the sun goes dow. Many hostile crimes occur in the dark.

IMO, you did very nice! Great family gun.

AND YOU BOUGHT AMERICAN !!!!:D

Dale, I'm afraid I can't agree S&W is "one of the best companies out there" lest I forget their cave-in to the ultimately failed (thank goodness) Clinton Administration lawsuit in 2000. However, they do make a good product.

While .38+P is certainly not the most powerful cartridge, particularly out of less than 2" of barrel, still the most effective self-defense weapon is the largest caliber you still feel confident handling.

Nice little pea shooter, hope you never have to actually use it, at 38 cal your severely undergunned against the bad guys.

The .38 +P is a nice compromise between size, kick, and knock down power. Sure it is not a .357 Mag or a .45, but it is light enough to not be a curse to carry with you. It is not so big that everyone knows you have a gun on you.

This revolver is simple to use. Just pull the trigger. No safety to worry about. No worries about having the clip all the way in. Nothing.

I have no worries about this gun.

Have you taken the CCW class? If not sign up know. Know all the laws in your city/state. Get to know them very well.

This is something my wife and I plan to do. We are going to be shooting it in a few weeks when we can get down to the hills. I want Theresa comfortable with it.

We have already read the Ohio CCW handbook together.

Tom

IMO, you did very nice! Great family gun.

AND YOU BOUGHT AMERICAN !!!!

Just for comparison, we looked at the Taurus. The build quality between the two is night and day. The S&W is so much nicer than the Taurus is. I planned on getting something made in the USA, I just wasn't sure which one.

FWIW, the hand gun we got is the number one Concealed Carry gun on the market. Small size, light weight, economical, and easy to use.

Tom

Enjoy it, just remember to heed the warning on your CT grips about the laser causing eye damage if you point the weapon at an assailant's face. :lol:

If you ever have small children around the house, make sure this weapon is always safely stored away from them. There are so many tragic accidents.

Nelson,

Thanks for the advice. We can never be too careful.

I was given guns to "play" with, as a child. It was always under adult supervision. I learned to respect guns. All the guns at my Dad's house are locked. This one will be no different.

Tom

IMO, Lasers are only going to make it that much more difficult to protect yourself.

A. Take the time finding a target using a laser may cause you to hesitate because you may spend longer to "aim" instead if just pointing and shooting.

B. It gives you away.

C. DON'T rely on it... pulling a pistol and relying on the laser could cause some hesitation... and if it doesn't work could possibly make you miss your target because you were not use to the shooting without the laser.

My opinion on lasers....

Nice gun choice!:)

Last edited by a moderator:
IMO, Lasers are only going to make it that much more difficult to protect yourself.

Interesting point. I see it as a tool. Using the sights is the best way to shoot, I agree. The laser points right where you would point it at.

B. It gives you away.

If you are hiding out trying to sneak a shot, you are crazy.

Tom