Finally fixed

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Finally got my cold start T/C rattle noise fixed. Replaced the tensioners and changed the spark plugs, only cost $500.00. Now on to the front end, slowly getting my Trac back in great condition.:banana:

Aloha FILTRAC, That is good news. I replaced only the front on my truck and was no help. I understand that the rear is easier so I will do that next. The truck sat for a month and at start up, the rattle lasted for about 2 seconds. Thanks Ed

What is T/C an abbrieviation for? This has me curious since mine sounds like it has the same issue (meaning the rattle at start up) as both of your Tracs'. Any ideas as to what needs to be replaced or repaired would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

After a little bit of research, I now realize it means the timing chain. I should have realized that before. :banghead:

Anyways, is this still something that is just annoying and not something to worry about unless more major repairs are needed or should I have my mechanic look into this and give me an estimate for repair?

Last edited by a moderator:
Also transfer case, torque converter, traction control, etc. Never understood why it's so difficult to SPELL out parts descriptions. Maybe save 5 seconds? :banghead:

If the noise is in the initial stages, it is best to replace the hydraulic tensioners before damage is done. Inexpensive and fairly easy repair (YouTube).

Thanks Yardsale. I just checked out the YouTube video to replace the rear. That one looks fairly easy. I haven't watched the Part 2 video for the front, and I am assuming it might be a bit more difficult per Ed's comment above.

Swshawii, I hope it isn't one of those T/C abbreviations as well. I have stuck enough money into the Trac since purchasing it a year ago. I think it will be worth it in after awhile as I really enjoy the vehicle and for a 2001 from IL, it really is in excellent shape still. I just have to get all the bugs, creaks,squeaks, and rattles worked out of it.

Everyone has really been a great help towards that goal. Thanks.

The front has clearance issues, but can be done without removing much. Depending on what you have, you may have to buy or borrow some tools, but far less expensive than labor for the repair at a shop.

Go for it.

Sorry for the abbreviation, it was Timming Chain. The rear tensioner was easy access through the passenger wheel well, the front was replaced by removing the intake. Well worth the $500.00 spent.

Latest posts