Filled the tank today!!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Richard L said:
JohnnyO,

I agree with you 100% The global market for oil, gasoline and Diesel fuel are controlled by the global economy, however, if you check other major OPEC nations, the cost of gasoline and diesel fuel is dirt cheap compared to the rest of the world.

What they keep and refine for themselves, they can charge whatever they want. The oil doesn't hit the global market so they sell it for the cost of production, plus I suppose a little profit.

Bud of mine is a professional yacht captain based in Miami. Really big yachts. He tells me he can fuel up with diesel in Venezuela for $0.25 a gallon.

I agree with you 100% The global market for oil, gasoline and Diesel fuel are controlled by the global economy, however, if you check other major OPEC nations, the cost of gasoline and diesel fuel is dirt cheap compared to the rest of the world.

I'm betting that probably the most significant reason it's cheaper in other OPEC nations is that those oil producers don't have anywhere near the compliance costs for production in the form of a myriad of Federal/State/Local permits, EPA, OSHA, DOE, & other regulations, taxes, etc. that are incurred by US energy producers. And make no mistake about it: Those compliance costs are passed on to the consumer.

Also consider the fact that in many of the OPEC countries, oil production is nationalized (gov't owned/controlled).

One on the strangest thinks I hear a few weeks ago was that in 2011 the US has become the biggest exporter of refined Gasoline and Diesel fuel. Meaning we are sending our fuel overseas...and then jack up our prices here when the refineries shut down for maintenance...That's crazy!

Most of the gas & diesel that's exported probably couldn't be sold here in the US anyway. There are several different "boutique blends" of gas sold throughout the US based on state/local laws & regulations, and also additives based on Federal requirements (ethanol for one, thanks to the farm lobby). And some of those additives are seasonally-based. That's the main reason that refineries shut down and re-tool twice a year. Again, a case of over-reaching gov't regulation driving up the cost of a product.:banghead:

As others have stated, since oil is a global commodity, oil & gas prices are based in large part on the global market. And oil is also traded on the futures market, so global events have a significant impact the prices. Consider that all of the recent talk about rising prices started about the same time that Iran started saber-rattling about their nuke program. And I also heard this week that Saudi Arabia is cutting back on production. So the speculators/futures traders see the supply in the next several months becoming smaller, yet demand isn't diminishing. So futures prices go up, driving up prices all up and down the production/supply chain.

The best way for us to bring down the price of oil (and everything produced from it) is to increase our domestic production. Consider that no new drilling permits have been issued in the Gulf of Mexico since the BP accident, no new permits have been issued on Federal-owned land in the last three years, no new refineries have been built in the US in over 30 years, and the plethora of gov't regulations make it expensive as hell to do business in the oil industry.

If we announced a national policy of opening up our coastal waters, ANWR, the Gulf, Federal lands, approved Keystone XL, and eased up the regulations on domestic drilling and refinery construction, global prices would come down very quickly in reaction to this.

Just take a look at oil production in North Dakota in the Bakken field. Their state economy is booming as a result. Unemployment in ND is around 3%. Seems like a no-brainer to me.:angry:

:banghead:

He tells me he can fuel up with diesel in Venezuela for $0.25 a gallon.

A prime example of what I was saying above. Chavez nationalized the oil industry, so compliance costs are gone. And I'll bet their diesel isn't the same as US-produced diesel in terms of gov't-mandated additives.

JohnnyO,

I'm not saying that we have to lower prices to the 91 cents per gallon like Saudia Arabia, or 12 cents a gallon for gas in Venezula (both are governement subsidized). I just think that US resources should be used here first not exported to create a shortage here and we end up paying even more. Perhaps we could remove all federal taxes from gasoline and diesel sold in the US and add it to the exported products

This does not have to be a permanent solution, but we need to do something to get the US economy jumpstarted again....If that meand Exxon/Mobil, Shell, Cheveron, etc make a little less money, then so be it.

....Rich

This does not have to be a permanent solution, but we need to do something to get the US economy jumpstarted again

And how often do federal programs actually die at their sundown?

The basic difference between your theory Richard, and mine, is that you believe in the liberal school of Keynesian economics in which the government can somehow magically control the economy with fiscal policy. 80 years of this has proven fiscal policy does not work.

If that meand Exxon/Mobil, Shell, Cheveron, etc make a little less money, then so be it.

Really Rich? So then who gets to determine how much the oil companies can make? And really with a profit margin around 8.2%, they're making far less than other industries: Wal-Mart & other retailers' profit margin is around 13%, the soft drink industry is at around 15%, Wireless communication-14%, Brewers-20%. Should gov't dictate that those industries, among many others that have a profit margin higher than the oil industry, lower their prices to "jumpstart the economy" too? Even more gov't intervention in the free market isn't the solution. Less gov't intervention in the market will do far more for the economy, like relaxing drilling restrictions/permitting, encouraging refinery construction, etc. Again, just look to North Dakota. Because of their encouragement of exploration and drilling in the Bakken fields (on private property, that state's economy is booming compared to the rest of the country.

Moreover, if you dictate that the oil companies take steps that lower their profits, who do you think that will hurt the most? Not the oil companies, but their shareholders. Got a pension, IRA, mutual fund, or some other retirement account? Then you're likely a shareholder in at least one oil company.

According to the study, <A HREF="http://www.sonecon.com/docs/studieswindfall_1105.pdf">The Economic Impact of a Windfall Profits Tax For Savers and Shareholders</A>, here is a sampling of just who has a stake in oil companies making the absolute best profit possible:

* Almost 43 percent of oil and natural gas company shares are owned by mutual funds and asset management companies that have mutual funds. Mutual funds manage accounts for 55 million U.S. households with a median income of $68,700.

* Twenty seven percent of shares are owned by other institutional investors like pension funds. In 2004, more than 2,600 pension funds run by federal, state and local governments held almost $64 billion in shares of U.S. oil and natural gas companies. These funds represent the major retirement security for the nation's current and retired soldiers, teachers, and police and fire personnel at every level of government.

* Fourteen percent of shares are held in IRA and other personal retirement accounts. Forty five million U.S. households have IRA and other personal retirement accounts, with an average account value of just over $22,000.

So if the oil companies "make a little less money", it's going to hit millions of average Americans right in their wallets.:banghead:

Last edited by a moderator:
droll,

The government limiting the oil companies is a terrible idea that has been floating around the internet. The last thing the market needs is our government trying to "fix" it. The reason refined oil is being exported is because we have capacity. Period. That is a good thing. If, for some reason, the output of US refineries were to be pulled from the global market - guess what happens? Yup, global prices shoot up. The answer to the current spike in prices is to calm the markets with realistic plans to increase supply. That means opening up currentlly prohibited spaces to exploration, increasing the potential supply of oil, driving the price down. Simple.

Simple? Not as simple as you make it sound or this would not be a problem.

The problem is the volatile nature of oil and gas throughout the world economy and has become a form of economic warfare. If we continue with the status quo we will just be like sheep being led to the slaughter.

Prices constantly fluctuate for unknown, unjustified reasons, and in most cases, simply because a speculator/expert says prices are going up, is enough to trigger the price hikes. Years ago it was supply and demand, now its any political situation in the world that some speculator can link to the petroleum market, no matter how vague the connection. We need to be able to control our economy from within and not be forced into and economic market based on incidents we have little or no control over and concentrate on those we can control

TrainTrac

I'm betting that probably the most significant reason it's cheaper in other OPEC nations is that those oil producers don't have anywhere near the compliance costs for production in the form of a myriad of Federal/State/Local permits, EPA, OSHA, DOE, & other regulations, taxes, etc. that are incurred by US energy producers. And make no mistake about it: Those compliance costs are passed on to the consumer.

All of those costs are currently built into the cost of each gallon of gasoline and diesel fuel. I not saying we should only pay 25 cents a gallon, I am say that we should limit the way prices fluctuate for refined oil products made here in the US, and not be forced to pay higher prices because the refiners can make more money shipping the gasoline and diesel fuel overseasand hurting our economy.

Most of the gas & diesel that's exported probably couldn't be sold here in the US anyway. There are several different "boutique blends" of gas sold throughout the US based on state/local laws & regulations, and also additives based on Federal requirements (ethanol for one, thanks to the farm lobby). And some of those additives are seasonally-based. That's the main reason that refineries shut down and re-tool twice a year. Again, a case of over-reaching gov't regulation driving up the cost of a product.

Not entirely true. There are actually well over 200 different blends of gasoline based on requirements set by Federal, State, and in some cases, individual Counties and Cities have specific blend requirements.

Refineries make their most profit when they are working around the clock, 24 hours a day.Keeping the refineries going 24/7 allows them to make refined gasoline at the lowest possible cost.and of course they can sell excess overseas at even higher profitsagain, I have no problems with that.

The best way for us to bring down the price of oil (and everything produced from it) is to increase our domestic production. Consider that no new drilling permits have been issued in the Gulf of Mexico since the BP accident, no new permits have been issued on Federal-owned land in the last three years, no new refineries have been built in the US in over 30 years, and the plethora of gov't regulations make it expensive as hell to do business in the oil industry.

I agree and major steps are being taken to do increase our domestic oil production. I have even read articles by some oil experts who claim that US is very close to being completely independent of foreign oil???? (sounds like a lot of BS to me) but it will be of little benefit if it is simply sold overseas at the global market prices. I understand that nearly all the oil coming from Alaskas North Slope is being exported to Japan.

Also, your point about the Mutual funds owning 53% percent of the oil stocks really is pointless. Oil company stocks are very slow growth. When Exxon was making $10 Billion a quarter in profit, they were putting most of that money back into the company and share holders got like $1.15 in dividends and very marginal increases in the stock prices so the shareholders did not get rich. If anyone thought they would lose money investing in Oil company stocks they can change their investment strategies.

And the fact that you are talking about Mutual Funds, indicates that they are picking a very diversified portfolio of stocks for their investors (probably not more than about 2%-5% in petroleum stocks) and they are constantly changing the mix and amounts so that a down turn in one segment of our economy does not necessarily bring down the entire Mutual Fund.

The simplest solution would be to implement some sort of rationing system of say 100 gallons per month for every legally registered car or truck. The would allow people to buy up to 100 gallons of gasoline per month at a discounted price. This makes gas price hikes from preventing people from getting to work. After the 100 gallons of discounted gas are used, then you pay the full retail pump price. Let the rationing go for 3-6 months and see if the economy improvedIf it did, keep it going for another 6 months and check again. If it did not improve the economy, just cancel the program and go back to everyone paying the full price for gasoline.

If you wish to continue this discussion then move it to the off-topic board

Rich

Richard L said:
JohnnyO,

I'm not saying that we have to lower prices to the 91 cents per gallon like Saudia Arabia, or 12 cents a gallon for gas in Venezula (both are governement subsidized).

I wasn't saying that either, I was just explaining why oil is cheaper in those countries. Not suggesting we do that here. Rep. Maxine Waters does though. See video link below.

Richard L said:
I agree and major steps are being taken to do increase our domestic oil production. I have even read articles by some oil experts who claim that US is very close to being completely independent of foreign oil???? (sounds like a lot of BS to me)

It can happen if the Oministration succeeds in making oil expensive enough that alternative energy is relatively cost competitive.

JohnnyO,

It can happen if the Oministration succeeds in making oil expensive enough that alternative energy is relatively cost competitive.

Oministration??

We have plenty of oil and natural gas available here to make us independent of any foreign oil. It will take time to develope and this oil, but not nearly as long as it will take to convert our nation over to some alternative energy. This is just to buy time to develope and build the other infastrutures to support the other alternative energy sources. If our country goes broke, we will have neither independence from foreign oil, nor a viable alternative energy source. Even if the future is compressed natural gas rather than hydrogen or electric cars that's a quicker step in the right direction then assuming we will have fuel cells for all cars in 5 years.

The hybrid car is closing the gap and makes an excellent dual purpose vehicle. If you live in the city, or you can do your daily commute within the 30-50 mile range of the all electric battery power, you can still use the gasoline engine if you need to go further or on a longer trip.

Hyundia has now come out with a hybrid that now includes a lifetime warranty on the battery pack. So if your battery pack dies in 5 years you get a new one at no charge. I think that is something that you will see more car makers offer free battery pack replacements to sell their hybrids.

My whole point is we cannot just price oil based fuels out of the consumers budget to promote the development of an alternative energy source or you will drag down an already fragile economy.

Again, we need to move this to the Off-Topic Board.

....Rich

If you wish to continue this discussion then move it to the off-topic board

Again, we need to move this to the Off-Topic Board.

Why? The topic of this thread from the beginning has been fuel prices, and it's under the category "Fuel & MPG", so I don't see how it should be considered "Off-Topic". Seems right on the mark to me...

Richard L said:

All of those costs are currently built into the cost of each gallon of gasoline and diesel fuel. I not saying we should only pay 25 cents a gallon, I am say that we should limit the way prices fluctuate for refined oil products made here in the US, and not be forced to pay higher prices because the refiners can make more money shipping the gasoline and diesel fuel overseasand hurting our economy.

Correct. Those are the compliance costs to which I was referring when I said:

So I'm not sure what point you were trying to make, other than repeating what I'd already stated. Either way, they're just one of the examples of gov't meddling in the private sector/free market that drives up consumer prices. Scaling back gov't intervention in the form of over-reaching regulations, permits, boutique-blend requirements, etc. would reduce prices and have a much more positive impact on the economy as a whole than rationing or price controls.

Gov't-mandated rationing and price controls have already been tried here in the US and throughout the world, and it never works.You're old enough to I'm sure recall that the long lines at gas stations in the '70's as a result of gov't attempting price controls. Also, I can't recall a single Communist country that rationed fuel and controlled prices that had a vibrant, thriving economy.

I said:

Most of the gas & diesel that's exported probably couldn't be sold here in the US anyway. There are several different "boutique blends" of gas sold throughout the US based on state/local laws & regulations, and also additives based on Federal requirements (ethanol for one, thanks to the farm lobby). And some of those additives are seasonally-based. That's the main reason that refineries shut down and re-tool twice a year. Again, a case of over-reaching gov't regulation driving up the cost of a product.

To which Richard L responded:

Not entirely true. There are actually well over 200 different blends of gasoline based on requirements set by Federal, State, and in some cases, individual Counties and Cities have specific blend requirements.

Huh? What's not entirely true? Again, it seems to me that we're both making the same point about gov't-mandated boutique blends of fuel driving up prices.

I agree and major steps are being taken to do increase our domestic oil production.

To what steps are you referring? Seems to be just the opposite to me. After the BP spill in the Gulf, the Obama administration stopped issuing permits for the Gulf. Also in the last three years, they've stopped allowing new drilling on Federally-owned lands, and killed the Keystone XL pipeline.

My whole point is we cannot just price oil based fuels out of the consumers budget to promote the development of an alternative energy source or you will drag down an already fragile economy.

Isn't that exactly what you're suggesting with the idea of gov't-mandated price controls?

Heck, Obama is on record during his first candidacy stating that he wanted to drive up energy prices to force the populace to embrace alternative energy ideas. That's working out well huh? Just look at Solyndra or any of the other failed, TARP-supported alt-energy ventures. And the Chevy Volt is selling so poorly that he's wanting to up the tax incentive to $10K in next year's Federal budget.

As for what I said about shareholders being pointless: You seemed to only focus on mutual funds. Seems hard to me to dismiss that as pointless when that makes up 43% of the ownership of the oil companies. Not only that, but you can't count out the 27% / $64 billion in energy company shares owned by public pension funds, or the shares tied up in IRA's. As I said earlier, the energy companies have an obligation to their shareholders to make the highest profit possible, no matter who the shareholders may be.

TrainTrac,

The topic of this forum is "Sport Trac Board, Category: Fuel and MPG". None of this discussion relates to that, but I suspect you will want to agrue about that too...:grin:

...Rich

Richard L said:
Oministration??

We have plenty of oil and natural gas available here to make us independent of any foreign oil. It will take time to develope and this oil, but not nearly as long as it will take to convert our nation over to some alternative energy. This is just to buy time to develope and build the other infastrutures to support the other alternative energy sources. If our country goes broke, we will have neither independence from foreign oil, nor a viable alternative energy source. Even if the future is compressed natural gas rather than hydrogen or electric cars that's a quicker step in the right direction then assuming we will have fuel cells for all cars in 5 years.

I agree, however the Ominsitration is partly owned by the Greenies and is therefore is firmly committed to no further exploration of fossil fuels. Obama "delayed" the Keystone XL pipeline after it was approved by ALL layers of govt when the Greenies told him he could expect no free campaign help or donations from them if he did.

Bought a 94 F150 4x4 4.9L 5-speed 3.55's last week for my occasional truck needs. Looking for a 2004-2006 Taurus w/ low miles. Then I'm afraid my Sport Trac will become someone else's Sport Trac. MPG's of this thing is killing me......I love it bit it's not worth it!:sad::sad:

TrainTrac,

The topic of this forum is "Sport Trac Board, Category: Fuel and MPG". None of this discussion relates to that, but I suspect you will want to argue about that too...

Huh? Not related? As I said earlier, Bob C.'s post that originated this thread talked about filling up his Sport Trac with fuel, and his frustrations with the rising cost of said fuel. And everyone who's contributed to this thread has been discussing fuel prices also. So please tell me how this entire not related to "Sport Trac Board, Category: Fuel and MPG" If this was all unrelated, and belonged on the Off-Topic board, then why didn't you admonish Bob C. right away for posting here and tell him to move the discussion to the Off-Topic board?

And how am I being argumentative? Because I disagreed with some (not all) of your responses? If so, then there were a few others in this thread that disagreed with you as well. Are they arguing too? If not, then why did you single me out?

TrainTrac,

Because this original thread got HiJacked does not make it right to continue this discussion here. I was one of the first to take the thread off topic and I appologize to Bob C.

The topic and category would clearly indicate that that this thread is for discussing "Sport Trac Fuel and MPG issues", not the price of gas around the world and what we might think should be done about it. The simple fact that you refuse to move this discussion to the Off-Topic board where it belongs and insist that this is on topic makes you argumentative or at least unwilling or unyielding to accept a difference of opinion.

...Rich

Latest posts