~ Fender Vents pt2

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Doug, I think the screens would look good painted silver. Especialy if the new wheels have any bright on them.

As far as the deadener experiment you linked us to: WOW!

That guy beat the hell out of that subject. Very impressive.

Thanks, Carey.

I like the silver idea, the way you have them in the pic they actually compliment the headlights and vice versa along with the wheels depending on your new selection. I like the black STA but I chose white because the black seemed to lose alot of detail. Painting the screens silver brings back some of the detail.

It's nota quick explanation, I would not want you to damage them!

From Looking at those pics of the before & after ,I can only imagine how long that mod took.

When you post what was done ,please include how you removed them from the fender in the first place...:cool:

Here is the process:

Take a Trim removal tool wrapped in a shop towel. Pry the Fender Vent from the middle top...then slowly slide the trim tool around the edge. There are two Clips at the top and two at the bottom that hold this piece on (along with some 2-sided tape)

BE VERY CAREFULL TO NOT BREAK THE CLIPS!!!!!

I then took a pair of pliers and snapped off the fake grill from the inside of the vent housing.

Replaced that with a GUTTER GRILL found at home depot for $1.39.

Cut the gutter grill with a pair of tin snips in all the locations of the clips. press it on tight!

There are a few pieces of Tape covering some holes within the fender...remove those. This will allow more air to flow from the engine! (Thus cooling the engine bay a little more)

Re-apply some double sided tape to the vent and replace it into your fender.

BE SURE to throw on some black paint on the passenger side Antenna (Orange wire).

IF HOWEVER you wanted to do teh Modified stock pieces as I am working on:

Use a grinder to shave off teh 1/4" backing of the STOCK fender vent. By doing this teh only plastic left will be the "Honeycomb" design and the air will flow through. This is how ford INTENDED the vents to be but for some reason did not finish the task!?

ENJOY!

SEE IMAGES IN THE FENDER VENTS SECTION OF MY LIBRARY!

Added a little more to the Fender Vents mod...

Cut out the inside of the engine bay to let teh air flow....found out that the fender is actually 3 parts...The engine bay skin....the inner skin and the outer fender which everyone sees.

I cut an oval to allow flow from the filter side of the intake and also to allow flow from the engine bay side of the heat shield.

Then realized I woudl have to cut the inner skin to allow the flow to go through to the actual fender vents on the exterior.....so I decided to drill 3 2" holes to allow that flow!

It seems to work great...of course it is hard to test, but I DID take a hi powered drive to hea tthings up:

The area on the filter side was 112 degrees...the engine bay side was 145 degrees!!! NICE!!!

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]: