Explorer Express and Suspension and MyST and ....

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A K

Reaction score
The category of this post is "Suspension." I promise it's sort of on topic.

I don't post much anymore -- as many can personally attest, life gets in the way -- but I still lurk. Many faces here have changed, although many remain the same. In a way, we're followers of a dying hobby, pursuit, whatever you want to call it. Each year we get older, as do our Tracs, and each year some of us and our Tracs disappear. I'm doing my best to hold onto mine, partly because I still enjoy it as much as the day I bought it, and partly because there simply is no suitable replacement for it. I have tested other manufacturers, and they're simply not the same. I've tested some beautiful F-150s, but I feel like I am captaining an aircraft carrier when all I want is a destroyer. So, onward I go in my old '04. ("Old" '04? Frightening thought to call something from '04 "old".)

To that end, I was working on the rear suspension this weekend. My end link bushings need to be replaced (or, more accurately, are so shot that when the vehicle sways, I hear clanks of the bar on the end links) and my sway bar bushings are close to shot. About ten years ago I ordered the EE rear sway bar, and some years after that, EE bushings for the end links. So, I called EE for replacements. Much to my happiness, Patty answered the phone. It sounds silly, but for three or four minutes, ordering the parts, it was like it was ten years ago. I ordered the same things then, talked to the same person then. When I hung up, I couldn't help but remember the meets and greets that used to be fairly frequent, and of course, Todd's masterfully planned Louisville Meets, one of which I was fortunate enough to attend. (I also must mention the great Long Island Meet.)

The group here was, and I trust still is, a great group. I had the privilege of meeting and getting to know people that, but for my vehicle, I never would have known. I'm better for it. Over the past ten years, I learned the ins and outs of my Trac, and now there is almost nothing I am not capable of repairing/replacing myself. The breadth of knowledge others here have, and were and are willing to share, is more than Ford could fit in its workshop manuals.

From the creaks the Trac makes, it sounds like my body mount bushings are starting to go. When they do, they likely will be the responsibility of its next owner. I'm not sure what vehicle I will settle on, but whatever it is, it will be settling. But for now, it's still great to be in the Trac, and it's still great to see many still very active here. I hope everyone and their families are well, and that your Tracs give you another ten years and 100,000 miles.

Last edited by a moderator:
What a great post! Thanks, and welcome back. :supercool:

Welcome back.... I just replaced my bushings with Greaseable ones from Energy suspension.

swshawaii posted the complete kit, but I used seperate ones with end links and all. I bought that and rolled with it !!!

Todd Z

Yep. I think when many of us first bought our Tracs we were all over this board.

I know I was.

But then they just turned out to be "reliable".

Now we find ourselves with some accumulated mileage and some service is due.

So now we are back here again...

I bought mine new in 2003 and I have only about 80K on it. (I have a short commute.)

She still feels brand new!

My only concern is some minor corrosion on the under-carriage.

I might address that with some POR-15 one of these days.

Other than that the Trac has been reliable and easy to work on.

Parts have been readily available and inexpensive. Can't ask for more.

Folks think MPG is now such a big concern. Total cost of ownership is NOT just about MPG.

The utility of the vehicle also comes into play. I think the Sport Trac wins all around.

Glad this board is still here and hope it remains for a long time.

God willing I'm taking this Trac to 200k.

Another 10 years and 100,000 miles? If I keep going the way I have been, and keep it another 10 years, my '03 will have another 300,000 miles on it! I t really doesn't seem that long, with maintenance intervals as long as they are now. Plugs every 100,000 miles? I'm on my 3rd set! 5th set of tires! 5th or 6th belt! 3rd set of shocks! This thing just lasts so long!

I used to go through tires in 30,000 miles, plugs in about 25,000, shocks in 15,000 miles. Oil really did need to be changed at 3,000 miles, and transmission fluid at 12,000. And then there was the required engine overhaul at 100,000 miles, or 150,000 if you babied it. I used to work on the car all the time!

Yeah, I concur. I was all over this board back in 2001, hadn't been around until I needed a second Trac when I gave the first one to my son. Now I'm here because I have problems with my Gen2. Funny how that is. That Gen 1 is really tough. Something to be said about a vehicle built on a 10 year old chassis design. Makes me wonder why they make clean sheet redesigns of some things.

I might eventualy get another car. My '04 will be with me as long as parts are available. It is worth repairing and forbid that it get's totaled.

I still see the design contemporary in it's own right.....:driving::supercool:

Latest posts