exhaust leak...

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nick weaver

Reaction score
i got my y-pipe put on today and it sounds like the collector bolts are not on tight enough and leaking right at the pipe but they got it as tight as they could...duno what to do any info is appericated thanks

Gary, Ypipe on the way, if Nick has a bad gasket, where would it be. I noticed on the HIA website it talks about extentions. Do you or Nick, know what that means? and Nick, is the leak sound coming from back there or the engine compartment. I ask because I had what I thought was an exhaust leak but it was the intake.

Teddy, Wayne told me that when the Y pipe goes on, you still use the stock gaskets. They are inbetween the header and the Y. The muffler shop thought they might get damaged when they took off the old Y, but they didn't. I don't know about extensions.

Gary, my sincere thanks, read the directions on the site but had no idea whatsoever. Since I will be putting the original back every couple of years, are they something I can pick up anywhere you think? What did you think about them, custom, oem or flat out cheapies....thanks again Gary, hope you're well.

Teddy

I suggest you completely loosen the connections, check the fit and alignment, then retighten everything. Proper torque is important too.

Did they clean the ball and socket on the manifold????

DID they forget to install and o2 sensor, or cross threaded it in????

DID they tighten the manifold bolts in the right pattern, IF not one of the flanges may be crooked and causing a bad seal...

IF the leak is at the cat flange, Just replace the gasket... YOU should have replaced the gasket during the install.. They might have torn the gasket with the pipe when wedging it in..

Todd Z

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts