1. Welcome to the new home for MySportTrac.com!

Please click here to find all the info about the move to the new site!

To access your account you will need to reset your password here

Exhaust Leak

Thread in 'Maintenance / Service' started by blksn8k, Jul 20, 2017.

1. blksn8k

blksn8k Well-Known Member 2nd Gen Owner V8 Engine

Had to change the exhaust flange gasket between the downpipe (Y-pipe) and intermediate pipe. Only took about an hour and a half. Craziest part was that none of the local auto parts stores stocked the gasket or the bolts and springs so I had to order the parts from Autozone and have them delivered to the house. The gasket is Walker p/n 31658 and the bolt/spring kit is Walker p/n 36129. If you do this repair I highly recommend getting new bolts and springs as the first one I tried to remove snapped off. You will also need a pry bar to hold the pipes apart while sliding the new gasket into place. I placed the pry bar in the rubber hanger closest to the joint. The old gasket had completely disintegrated at 143k miles.

2. TrainTrac

TrainTrac Well-Known Member 2nd Gen Owner 2 Wheel Drive V8 Engine

:supercool:

3. Igor Smetaniuk

Igor Smetaniuk Active Member 1st Gen Owner V6 Engine

I had luck sometimes by heating the bolts until they were glowing red and they'd come off that way. Other times, I'd just cut them off.

The last time I had to replace my exhaust, the ears of the flange for the bolts were basically rusted down to very little meat to hold anymore so I found a two-piece bolt-on flange that Walker sells also. Ground down what was left of the others and the two-piece flange put me back in business.