exhaust leak

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Bendfeldt

Reaction score
I have an 07 ST w/4.6 V8. 75,000. I am developing an exhaust manifold leak. Question is how big of a job is it to replace the gasket? Should both sides be done if only one side is leaking? What price range am I looking at?

Thanks

Benny

My 08 had this issue. Started on the drivers side, got it repaired then within two weeks the passenger side needed to be done. ( Both times it was broken bolts on the manifold allowing exhaust to leak) It cost be about $600 Canadian each side to have done at a Ford dealer. Its not something I would have wanted to tackle myself, as there is so little room to work. Took the mechanic about 4 hours on each side, and a lot of cursing too apparently.

And Bigt1989, to answer your question, you can tell its leaking on startup, it makes a loud ticking noise. With mine, it would go away as soon as the engine warmed up.

Search "ticking".

Last edited by a moderator:
Yup. Loud ticking noise on start up that goes away once engine warms up. Back when I had the plugs done the mechanic said he thought the exhaust manifold gasket was starting to go. I guess we all agree. Next question is do I do both at the same time when I only think that it's leaking on one side?

Thanks again

Benny

For "wear" parts (U- and CV-joints, bearings, tie rods, etc.), unless it's a odd or premature failure, I usually replace in pairs, or however many there are, figuring that the others can't be far from failure. For non-wear parts, I tend to repair as needed - the other side may never fail.

Also consider failure history of the gaskets and cost vs inconvenience of doing both at the same time or separately. In this case, it seems that the cost would be about the same for each side. If the engine had to be pulled, or similar, then I might consider getting them both done at the same time.

My gut says fix what's broken this time.

Broken studs, look at the manifold from the tire well. You will see..

Major job, Its not just a gasket..

Todd Z

Latest posts