Exhaust 101 (STA) - Please!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I took the Flowmaster route. Had a local shop cut off the muff & resonator, install a nice Flowmaster. Sounds real sweet, no drone, not too loud, just right for me.

Total cost, $115.00

Total time, 45 minutes door to door.

I cant see dropping $500-$800 for the same result for a complete "system". Just my experience.

Thanks for all your input, you've all helped me decide to go with the smart choice and not waste my money an a full system that I'll have to throw half of it away.

I'm going to just do the muffler swap with a MagnaFlow of some sort, replace the resonator with straight pipe & have my factory pipe, after the muffler, welded back on.

Now the only question is, which MagnaFlow? I'll just have to take a shot in the dark, but Psycareyo, if you like the way yours sounds, that might be the route I go with.

Nocturnal STA, Thanks for the sound clip. That is exactly what I expected a flowmaster to sound like on the truck. It's just not my cup of tea. As I said, every other vehicle on the road, where I live, has the same sound; a flowmaster sound. It would be like if everyone in your neighborhood had the exact same stereo system, you'd probably choose something else, as to stand out from the pack.

Not that yours sounds bad, just that I'm looking for something different.

Adrian Drenalin, I got that, that your first is not a resonator, but only to act as one. I was just misinformed and thought MagnaFlow did make a resonator. You're absolutely right though. If I go Psycareyo's route and decide its too loud for me then I'll probably get a resonator of some sort. What I really mean to ask is why did you go with 2 aftermarket mufflers and not 1 aftermarket muffler and 1 aftermarket resonator? Also, thanks for the clip. I love the sound, its just a little too quiet for my taste.

What I really mean to ask is why did you go with 2 aftermarket mufflers and not 1 aftermarket muffler

by psycareyo-Mine is about 15-20% louder than Adrians

And that my friend is the answer. I have to consider my family when they ride with me and also the local LEO's as to not attract too much attention since they like to go after vehicles that have exhaust sound above average... :D

Adrain....you don't seriously think that a trooper is going to hone in on your Sport Trac Adrenalin because of the exhaust sound do you?

My exhaust has almost the same idle sound as yours but it's about 15-20% more aggressive when you're on the gas. I've been extremely impressed that it can produce a low rumble and it can thunder when you want it to. All this without any crackling. That can only attest to the quality and engineering of the Magnaflow product.

My point; you can have the aggressive note you want. If you don't want to draw attention to yourself stay out of the gas.

If you don't want to draw attention to yourself...you bought the wrong vehicle.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you don't want to draw attention to yourself...you bought the wrong vehicle

I draw attention weather I want too or not. seems some of the troopers in my area are attracted to loud red vehicles and other are familar with the STA as they are car buffs. my exhaust mite soud mellow but as I stated above the sound note you hear was recorded inside with the windows closed. believe me when I say the attention is appreciated by folks and LEO's but Id like to keep the LEO's as car buff fans and not as traffic enforcers. :D

Id like to keep the LEO's as car buff fans and not as traffic enforcers.

:blink:

Pretty simple solution to that: Keep your foot out of it and drive sensibly.:D

Psycareyo

I sent you an email, but incase you don't get it here's what I sent:

I've decided . . . I'd rather go with experience instead of taking a blind shot this time around. I gave this buddy of mine the part number you provided (14236) & he can get it for a few bucks cheaper & by Friday. The only thing I need some clarification on exactly what you have. You say 14236 is 5x8x11 but magnaflow's website shows 14236 to be 5x8x14 (bodylength) & 20 (overall length)??? Their site doesn't list any offset/offset 5x8x11. Thanks again.

Latest posts