Exhaust 101 (STA) - Please!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevinbakon

Reaction score
Well, I've searched the site & web and I've come to a few conclusions based on sound clips and posted Q&A.

Am I learning or just confusing myself?

Please give me some Exhaust 101 (IYO):

First off let me start by saying that I have ABSOLUTELY no exhaust mod experience what so ever. All I know is whether I like the sound or not:lol: Ultimately, I am trying to get that "cobra" or "roush" sound that I love to hear; the perfect balance of loud & mellow. Of course if that’s what I really want, I should just buy one right? I don't own one, nor would I, for practical reasons, but what I'm aiming at is a similar "mellow" & "guttural" exhaust sound. Of course anything is possible if you have the resources and money; neither of which do I have much. I'd like to start with the muffler and as the cash comes in, change anything else that may give me more sound, MPG & performance.

Without hesitance, my buddy who works at a mustang performance shop recommended the MagnaFlow Cat-back option or Flowmaster.

Here in Southern Texas, we get a lot of these big-city-hill-billy-wannabes that slap a couple of Flowmasters on and I've learned to dread that sound I hear so often. Maybe it sounds better on the ST, but it doesn’t seem to be as mellow as I’d like.

Based on what I've researched, this is what I'm leaning towards for my 2008 4.6 V8 STA:

- MagnaFlow Cat-back system (part # 16679). This seems to be the only exact-fit MagnaFlow option for the truck.

- Since it’s an Adrenalin, I’ll have to have a muffler shop cut off the tip & weld my factory tip on.

- I'm also considering possibly doing the Direct-Fit Cat (Part # 93627)

If I stick with the mods listed above, shouldn’t I get the most immediate bang for the buck. Down the road, I may look into different pipes (cat-front).

Some questions/concerns I have are:

- If I go with MagnaFlow, are there other part #s I should consider other than the 16679?

example: 5x8x14 vs. 5x11x20, & what’s the advantage?

- What’s the difference in “cat-back” and just replacing the muffler? Obviously the pipe to the exhaust tip, but what else? Resonator?

- My truck has 1 muffler or mufflers? (What I’ve read on this site doesn’t make a lot of since at times)

- Deleting the resonator? I need some education! What/Where/Why/Pros/Cons?

I think I’m drawing the conclusion that the “bulge” immediately before the muffler is actually the resonator & that I can ltake it off all together or replace it with a MagnaFlow resonator? Once again, am I way off & does this create any computer problems?

- Y-pipe? I need some education! What/Why/Pros/Cons? For the money, is it true that I will get little to no enhancement from this mod, would I be better off not even going there?

I understand the truck has multiple cats.

- I'm assuming the Direct-Fit option from MagnaFlow is for just the last cat (again, I could be way off on this one)?

I've also heard of removing 1 cat.

- Good or bad Idea?

- If it’s a good idea, will the computer have any issues?

- Easy to work around or best to leave as is?

Things I've also considered, but decided may not be my best option are:

- Dual exhaust could potentially harm the engine, not to mention my rear bumper only has one cut-out for exhaust and short of making a custom molding, I'm stuck with what the factory gave me.

- An electrical cut-out will sound like crap, but I love the concept of a customizable sound at the push of a button.

- Flowmaster may be a good option, but with as many of them that we have on the road around here, I’d like mine to be a little more unique.

- Thrush sounds like it may have the most cabin noise, but since I’m looking for a unique sound and performance, maybe I should consider this route.

- Gibson will create a lot of cabin noise & possibly rust

I’m sure some o

Last edited by a moderator:
I was gonna suggest new muffler bearings. :lol: Here's the best place to buy them.:p

26fd85461088b6289ee14679f5ca9cef.jpg

We did Flowmaster but left the resenator on. It is just enough to have it sound like a V8 and quiet enough when driving. We are happy with it!! :D

Wow, i'm impressed! You have certainly done your research and used the search function extensively.

Some questions/concerns I have are:

- If I go with MagnaFlow, are there other part #s I should consider other than the 16679?

16679 is a complete kit, you don't need anything else.

- What’s the difference in “cat-back” and just replacing the muffler?

Replacing the muffler is cheaper and you use your existing factory exhaust pipe.Obviously the pipe to the exhaust tip, but what else? Resonator?

You can cut out the resonator and replace it with straight exhaust pipe which is the equivalent of the cat back kit.

- My truck has 1 muffler or mufflers? (What I’ve read on this site doesn’t make a lot of since at times)

Your truck has 1 muffler and 1 resonator

- Deleting the resonator? I need some education! What/Where/Why/Pros/Cons?

The resonator will make the exhaust tone a bit louder and throatier than it currently is. There are no cons (other than the louder exhaust) that I am aware of.

I think I’m drawing the conclusion that the “bulge” immediately before the muffler is actually the resonator & that I canltake it off all together or replace it with a MagnaFlow resonator?

Yes, the bulge before the muffler IS the resonator.

Once again, am I way off & does this create any computer problems?

No, this should not create any computer problems.

I was in the exact same situation back in June.

I was torn between the cat back system and the muffler swap.

You can't use all of the cat back system since the STA has a rear exit pipe, not a side exit. I'm not sure why you would spend the extra money on a pipe that runs from teh cat to the muffler in the kit when you can achieve the same thing with a less expensive piece from your local muffler shop.

I'd just do the muffler and save myself a ton of money. I got mine from performancepeddler.com for next to nothing.

If you don't remove the factory resonator you won't hear a bit of difference in the exhaust sound. Some members who wanted a much more mellow sound actually added a Magnaflow resonator.

I love the way mine sounds without a resonator. It's mellow at low rpm and it screams at high rpm. No crackling at all. When I first got it, it crackled a little bit when I manually downshifted the automatic tran.

Magnaflow makes longer, wider mufflers that may produce the sound you want. A Magnaflow rep told me that the larger the muffler the more mellow the sound. The shorter and smaller the muffler the louder the sound.

I think I bought their middle of the road size muffler.

Magnaflow #14236 5"x8"x11" oval offset/offset 2.5"/2.5" muffler with custom pipes. $83.81 shipped. Purchased at: performancepeddler.com

http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/shopdisplayproducts.asp $615 MSRP. Could get it for a lot less I'm sure but you're still talking Hundreds vs. under $85 bucks.

I bought the Magnaflow 16679 cat back system at Performance Peddler in Feb 07 for $329.67 with free shipping. I was able to install it myself in one afternoon. I agree you would not be able to use the tip on your Adrenalin but I suspect the rest of the system would be an improvement in efficiency over just a muffler swap not to mention the fact that the Magnaflow system is fully stainless steel with a lifetime warranty. Everyone who has ridden in the truck comments on how great the exhaust sounds. My brother-in-law even said it sounds better than his C5 Corvette.:D

You can't use the side exit pipe. The provided tip isn't as nice as the STA stock tip. You can replicate the pipe from the cat to the muffler. You can get the same muffler. You can use any material pipe you want and it still won't add up to $329.67. Just doesn't make a wise investment.

Even if I had the money to waste, I still wouldn't buy the cat back exhaust system for the Sport Trac. I'm sure it's an advantage for some vehicles though. Like Amanda's WRX for instance. It's easier and cheaper to go with the cat back system according to my local Midas guy, that's done my last 5 exhaust systems.

not to mention the fact that the Magnaflow system is fully stainless steel

I could be mistaken, but if I remember correctly, the OEM exhaust pipes are also stainless steel. It seems to me that most practical, least expensive way for you to go would be to decide upon a muffler, be it Magnaflow, Flowmaster, or whatever, and then just have it installed and a pipe to replace the resonator if you want to get rid of that too. You could probably do this for under $200.

Start off with this, see how you like it, and then decide if you want to modify anything between the engine and muffler (cats, y-pipe, headers, etc.) later on. I don't think there's an aftermarket y-pipe for the Gen 2 ST's, so it would be pretty expensive to have one custom made.

Your best bang-for-buck exhaust mod will be to just upgrade the muffler and remove the resonator.

Stainless? I have a V6 but my OE pipes and muffler were pretty rusty when I took them off a three-month old truck.

Careful with the www.kalecoauto.com gag site, I got virus warnings the last couple times I looked at it.

So it sounds like, considering the rear exit pipe setup, the easiest & lowest cost option is to

- Do the muffler swap

- Delete the resonator & replace it with pipe (I can always come back with a MagnaFlow)

- Have the rear exit pipe welded back on

Psycareyo: I hate to be a "copy-cat," but I may just do the same as you.

I hope that doesn't offend you, I'd think you'd be flattered :D

(I'm considering calling a MagnaFlow rep to get some feedback on which size/part#)

The description of yours sounds exactly like what I'm looking for.

One of my biggest fears is "crackling."

You don't happen to have a sound clip do you?

Also, just curious, why'd you stay within the 5"x8"?

Is it not recommended to stray from these two dimensions, only change the length?

Lastly, how do you like your K&N 63-2573 Series Air Charger Intake System?

Was it a simple "slap-on" replacement or was some modification required?

Any electrical/computer issues?

I just slapped a K&N factory replacement in until I can decide what to do.:wacko:

KPC,

I really don't care if you replicate my setup.

The bigger the muffler the more mellow it's going to be. The chamber design has a lot to do with it also but Magnaflow mufflers are pretty much all straight through in design. Mine was: Magnaflow #14236 5"x8"x11" oval offset/offset 2.5"/2.5" muffler. I have pics of the muffler in my Library.

I don't have a sound clip yet but I could allow you to listen in on my cell phone while I drive it lol!

I like the FIPK but I hate the filter. I've had to clean my MAF twice because it keeps tripping my engine light telling me that both banks run lean. It's because the K&N filter particals and filter oil gunk up my sensor. I Picked the 63 series because it wasn't polished or chrome plated or whatever. It looks OEM. There is a slight whistle when lightly on the throttle at low rpm.

It was a very simple snap in mod with one exception; the required tools list, and supplied tool was incorrect and I had to go buy a set of US and Metric hex wrench sets. If I remember correctly, the 2mm wrench was incorrect and it was actually a US wrench. I don't recall the size.

KPC- Let me share with you what I have set up with my exhaust.

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

The First Magnaflow Muffler part # 14416 , 4" round , center/center , 20" tip to tip , 2-1/2 inch OD core.

The Second Magnaflow Muffler Part # 14366 4X9 Oval , offset/offset , 24" tip to tip , 2-1/2 inch OD core.

Both are of course stainless steel.

The first one is there to act like a resonator but it is a muffler and the second muffler drowns out what the first one doesn't . there is also no droneing at highway speed or local driving. when you punch the gas ,it sounds like you have a 400 Cubic inch engine under the hood. the best thing about this set up is this a free flowing exhaust with no obstructions in the mufflers just strait free flowing exhaust all the way out.

Wow, from one extreme to another and supposedly they both sound great.:huh:

Psycareyo, you've got one (1) 5"x8"x11 and a removed resonator & according to you:

The bigger the muffler the more mellow it's going to be

&

Some members who wanted a much more mellow sound actually added a Magnaflow resonator

Adrian, not only do you have a muffler over twice the size @ 4"x9"x24" but you have a second muffler. Can I ask why you opted for a second muffler instead of the MagnaFlow resonator?

I can't imagine these systems sound anything alike.

I did say I like a mellow sound, but I still want to hear it a little when I'm coasting and definitely when I punch it.

Maybe I should define what I mean by mellow. I'm looking for a loud, deep, guttural rumble without distortion. Something that'll turn heads without making them cringe.

Also, am I correct to assume that MagnaFlows are (for the most part) built the same and are all
free flowing exhaust with no obstructions in the mufflers just strait free flowing exhaust all the way out
?

KPC,

You and I have the same expectations for our exhaust system. Save them money and just put in a muffler and pipe the resonator. If it isn't to your liking you can always add the Magnaflow resonator.

I actually consulted Adrain about his intake and exhaust before I did mine. As well as Dingo and NocturnalSTA.

All the applications that will fit your needs via Magnaflow are going to be straight through.

I can't thank you enough :D

I'm so glad I came across this site and have an opportunity to work with such helpful members/owners such as yourself :D

As a side question, since our trucks are basically the same, have you had the Tranny-bump issue or electrical fan clutch issue?

- I took my truck in for the bump, they flashed it & that fixed the tranny-bump for about 2 months & its back again. I know its an acknowledged issue with several of the Gen2 owners and I've read up on Dingo's disconnect. I'm a little hesitant about the disconnect though. Maybe I'll do it after I get my exhaust done since that’s a good time to disconnect anyways. The thing I can't decide on is to touch the pos. & neg. or not. . . . . just wondering your experience/status/resolution. . . .

- I took it in for the electrical fan clutch issue (that’s what I've been told it is through members on the site) but they couldn't replicate it. It happens to me, here in this hot & humid Houston weather after about 45 minutes of driving. Its obviously cooled off now, but I'm anticipating the nuisance to come back next year. Any experience yourself?

Adrian, not only do you have a muffler over twice the size @ 4"x9"x24" but you have a second muffler. Can I ask why you opted for a second muffler instead of the MagnaFlow resonator?

Magnaflow does not make resonator's

The first one is there to act like a resonator but it is a muffler

Latest posts