Ethanol 85 Use

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Eddie,

I should have said most newer vehicles use the yellow gas cap. I think the yellow/green gas cap started somewhere about 2005 - 2007 range by GM and then other vehicle makers started to follow. I am sure there are some vehicles that just put an E-85 sticker inside the fuel door etc? But most newer vehicles have switched over to the the yellow gas cap for E-85 compatible engines.

Caymen,

You said your parent's Escape "Does not have a gas cap"??? Did you mean that it did not have a yellow gas cap?

I don't know the year of your parent's Escape, but my explaination to Eddie probably applies.

...Rich

It's totally up to you but IMHO from information from reviews, friends, engine builders, etc. I really don't think it's worth it.

:haveabeer:

You said your parent's Escape "Does not have a gas cap"??? Did you mean that it did not have a yellow gas cap?

Almost, if not, all new Fords no longer come with a gas cap.

So guys what's the consensus? Should I use E-85 or will it damage my engine?? Appreciate eveyones input.

If your vehicle is a Flex Fuel vehicle, run it. If it saves you money, keep running it. If it costs more money than regular gas, then quit using it.

If your vehicle is designed to run it, then run it all you want. No need to run the tank low to refill with either. E-85 vehicles are designed to run from 100% gasoline to only 15% gasoline (85% ethanol) and any combination of the two.

Run it. If you like it, keep using it.

Tom

Caymen is correct. There is no problem mixing E-85 with gasoline in flex fuel engines. However if you really want to accurately check the mileage and performance of E-85 in your vehicle, you should fill up with E-85 when your tank is nearly empty.

Caymen,

I no that some cars have eliminated the conventional gas cap, I just didn't know what year your parent's Escape was, nor if the Escape used the new filler cap.

I was also under the impression that those caps can be removed (for repairs, etc) but the gas nozzle can just be pushed through the trap-door in the cap to add fuel?

...Rich

Last edited by a moderator:
Regarding the Switch Grass, according to a Successful Farming article that I do not have in front of me... It is a better fuel product than corn, but it is hard to get started since other weeds will be mixed in for a couple of years until the Grass crowds them out. The biggest problem seemed to be that there are no buyers yet. There are some farmers in TN growing it in a study for a company, but most of the bales are pretty much waiting for demand and the processing plants.

TMI - I know, but since I can't buy a new ST in a couple of years I have been researching options. The price of gas for my 250 miles a week and hubby's new truck that can haul anything I might want has me looking smaller and smaller. I am going to miss the road height.

Bob, if your ST is the FFV variety, then by all means, try it out and see if the lower price of the fuel is enough to compensate for the lower MPG that you get. If it is, then by all means run E-85 while it makes economic sense.

TJR

My dad's escape doesn't have a cap either. Ford did away with them the last few years. It's supposed to have less evaportive emmisions and save time when filling up since you don't have to untwist the cap, and then you won't forget to put it back on as well.

We have a 2001 Taurus, FFV. 3.0L OHV. (Owned since 2002)

I have tried E85 one time in this vehicle (on a 360 mile trip) and saw a 40% drop in mileage.

(Average went from 25 mpg hiway with unleaded to 15-16 mpg with E85 on my trip)

Just to break even, the E85 would have to be 40% cheaper than standard unleaded, and around here, it is not even close to being that much cheaper.

Just not worth it IMO. Also lowers your driving range too.

25mpg w/ 16 gal = 400 miles <vs.> 15mpg w/ 16 gal = 240 miles.

(I dont like to stop if I dont have to, so thats another issue)

UPDATE ON ETHANOL 85 USE--

In the midst of using my first full tank of E-85. Found information of page 10 of the dealer info guide from July 2004 (go to this document page 10 http://www.burdford.com/brochures/05ExplorerSportTrac.pdf ) explaining Flex Fuel and 2005 Sport Tracs. The tank of gas I ran before this one came in at 13.4 MPG which is the best I've gotten since last fall. I'll post my MPG later this week.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts