Epson Printer

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeSondra Grossen

Reaction score
I have an Epson Stylus Photo 785EPX Printer. I usually get ink from ebay, but I got the color ink at OfficeMax last week. I don't recall that I have even printed from it since! But it is not printing anything!! Today I go get the name brand black ink (in case they dont work together) and still nothing. I have cleaned the print heads many times, and it receives the print command OK, just doesn't print anything.

So, my question is do you think it is better to buy a used one and try to move over the ink from the old to the new, or start fresh with something everything new?? :unsure:

PS I have a second printer set-up for basic stuff, this was my good one for great picture quality!

Last edited by a moderator:
Not to insult anyone's intelligence but did you remove the plastic protector tape that comes on the new cartridges? Does it act like it's printing but nothing prints? Have you followed the troubleshooting steps?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, have installed many cartridges for it. As far as troubleshooting, did the basics--power cycle, check cables etc. It gets the command, print head move/feeds paper, except no printing:angry:!

Sorry, If you have done all the basic troubleshooting then I dunno. I did find this about your printer:

Q:

The printer sounds like it is printing, but no ink is on the paper. What's wrong?

A:

The print head nozzles may be clogged. From the Utility section found in the EPSON printer driver, clean the print heads by performing a head cleaning followed by printing a nozzle check pattern. A head cleaning and nozzle check should be performed as a cycle. After printing a nozzle check, examine the printed dot pattern. Each staggered horizontal and straight vertical line should be complete, with no gaps in the dot pattern. If there are gaps in the dot pattern, continue with another cycle. Perform up to 3 cycles if necessary. If the nozzle check is not printing completely, and if the head cleanings do not help the nozzle check pattern to print completely, try replacing the ink cartridge. Caution: If you have already installed a cartridge which is missing the blue label, or if a previously installed ink cartridge was missing its blue label at the time it was installed, and now head cleanings do not help the nozzle check pattern to print completely, your printer may require service and you should contact Epson technical support for further assistance.

Yeah, that was first step, but it doesnt print the nozzle check pattern. I could of bought a new one for the cost of the ink! I think it is beyond my help anymore. Thanks

I cannot offer help, but can sympathize. I destroyed a working C88 when I used Staples-brand cartridges with it. Some simply mess up printers it seems.

Ron--

Great article! however, didn't help.

JD--

did a complete uninstall and reinstall with no luck!

Adam--

Sucks doesn't it!! :angry:

Appreciate the help guys!

svt1848,

Best thing I can suggest is find a buddy or friend that has the same printer, or a compatible printer and has print cartridges that they have been using and KNOW to be working, and borrow those carts and try it out.

You've already tried a couple of sets of new carts and nada. I suspect you could continue down that road for some time. If you do, make sure you buy the carts from a retailer that will allow an opened return...most won't.

I suggest you scrap the printer as bad as that sounds. Most printers these days cost about twice to three times as much as the carts you put in them. Logic and simple math would say that if you buy another set, or two of carts and can't use them on this printer then you are SOL, unless you buy another, exact same printer (used or new). Which I think is where your head is already at.

If you like that printer, buy another one used on ebay, cheap.

TJR

So, my question is do you think it is better to buy a used one and try to move over the ink from the old to the new, or start fresh with something everything new??

Dump having an Inkjet printer. Spend the money and get a nice Color Laser for about $400.00. Never have to deal with buying Ink again. We use our laser printer for everything. At the moment, we have a Samsung CLP-610. The black tiner cartridge went out after 3000 pages. That is 3000 pages with the low yield cartridge. The high yield cartridge should last 5000 pages.

Speed , quality of print, and the colors make laser printers the only way to go.

We use the printer on a daily basis to keep up with Theresa's ebay business. We work the hell out of it. If you do not print very often, you will never have to buy another printer again. The only reason we replaced the Okidata we had before it was because the drum and fuser needed replaced and the replacment value of those parts (25,000 pages were printed) exceeded what it would cost to buy a brand new printer.

Laser is the only way to go.

Tom

Just a guess on my part...they make a cleaning solution for print heads, I have some but don't remember where I got it. Maybe a few drops in the print head will clear it up? Just a thought. I went to HP after my Epson because the print head is on the cartridge.

Brad,

Most printer carts today have the print heads integrated into the cartridge itself. A lot of technology is in those carts, that's why the printers are so cheap and the carts so expensive.

TJR

Not to start anything, but I believe the printer in question has a seperate print head. I think the cartridge price is to make up for the cheap printer price. Once you have the printer, they can control the price of the ink. Unless you refill, which I have done for years. Anyway, I just ordered a Canon with seperate color carts, and I'm going to try the continuous ink system and see how it works. I've always hated the fact that the tri-color carts need replaced when only one color is out.

Thanks Brad.

You didn't start anything.

I just did research. That printer does have its print heads seperate from the carts and has several customer complaints about ink clogging.

TJR

the Epson POS i had had tubes to deliver the ink from the cartige to the head. Once they were clogged, I was S.O.L... I'll never buy a Espon anything again. I guess the key is to either buy something with a servicable print head, or a cartrige that has all 3 colors in it, which has the print heqad attached to the cartridge. I found this out by typing in your problem on google and reading several forums on the issue... HTH