Engine Troubles

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kody Budinger

Reaction score
Yesterday I noticed my radiator coolant overflow was empty after I saw a bit of steam coming under the hood so I checked the radiator itself and it wasn't too low but I filled it up to about an inch above the cap and the overflow box to the fill line. Haven't noticed any leaks but I just got back from the store and saw smoke coming from the hood so I quickly opened it and saw it was coming from the engine block as well as the firewall area on the drivers side. Any recommendations on what to do? I don't want to drive until I figure it out.

Plastic lower thermostat housing is by far the most common failure on the Gen 1 4.0 SOHC. Usually splits at the rear seams. Use the RH148 housing if only one sensor is connected.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very difficult to visibly inspect the rear of the housing for leaks. Best time to look is with the engine at operating temp after shutoff,

that's when the coolant pressure builds. Search "lower thermostat housing", extremely high failure rate on this and other forums.

Definitely not the thermostat housing I checked it? Maybe its running down somewhere but it doesn't make sense to me because there is no wet spots what so ever near the housing. the only leakage I can find which I just found and happened to be quite a bit was where I said the smoke was which near the driver side firewall and its all collecting on the drive shaft

Call around to find a cooling system pressure test kit with a fully refundable deposit. Most larger auto parts chain stores have loaner tools. Keep posted. GL

Good idea Gavin. PCV valve is located in the "firewall area on the drivers side".

Latest posts