Engine temp and CEL

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim Tarr

Reaction score
Hello everyone. Yesterday the outside temps were around 45 degrees and I noticed my temp guage almost never got above the bottom line above the C mark. I did have some heat from the vents but not as hot as usual. I drive my 2002 ST about 100 miles a day and it never got any higher on the guage. Fluid levels were fine. I couldn't do anything last night so on the way to work today same thing except the CEL came on after about 20 miles. Could the cool running engine cause the CEL to come on due to too much fuel being sent to the injectors? Any ideas ? Thanks.......Jim :banghead:

If the T stat is stuck open yes, the coolant sensor will not see proper temps.

Todd Z

Sounds like you will be stopping at an auto parts store for a free code reading. Im sure Todd will tell you where to get that metal thermostat housing to save you future worries. :supercool:

Thanks for the feed back. Replacing the T stat doesn't look like a big deal. I'll be very careful not to damage anything, if possible. I've read about the housing cracking but have been lucky so far. My ST has 205000 on it now so, it's done pretty good. Just a few minor problems. I'm so happy to have this forum and all of the helpful people on it. Thank you all! :banana:

Latest posts