Engine Starting Trouble

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zudnick

Reaction score
Hello,

I haven't actually experienced this yet, but my wife has had it happen numerous times...

She says that sometimes (not every time) the truck wont start unless she moves the vehicle a little bit. She says there is just nothing when she turns the key to start the truck -- so it's not like it's trying to start and just not turning over.

This happened once while she was parked on a bit of a hill, and she said when she let the parking brake off, the truck moved just a little bit and she was able to start the engine right away. Since that time she says that every time that she has had this starting issue, if she can rock the truck just slightly it seems to start right away.

Any ideas on what could be causing this? Where can I start to look for issues? Can't just take it to a shop, because the problem doesn't happen every day...

Thanks,

Z

How old is your battery? Go to Sears or Interstate and have it checked. You can DIY inspection of your battery cables. Make sure everything's clean and tight, especially positive cable to the starter.

Hey guys,

Thanks for the suggestions...

The battery is not that old, so I really don't think that's it.

I was more think along the lines of a neutral/park safety switch. How do I check that?

Thanks,

Z

Unfortunately I am new to STs and don't have the same model as you. Hopefully someone will be along shortly with more specific information. I'd also suggest checking the lever/cable adjustments on the shift linkage as that could be a cause too.

Sorry I can't help further.

Tim

Last edited by a moderator:
The park-neutral switch is a strange beast of late.

f918cdc3efb69cea86daf9539432e8d4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree, that it sounds like the Park/Neutral interlock switch. The other thing might be that she applied the parking brake and when she moved the shift lever to park, it did not fully engage the Park-Neutral interlock switch. When she released the parking brake, the vehicle moved slightly and fully engaged Park.

I'm wondering if instead of trying to rock the vehicle, it might work if she simply turns the key on to unlock the steering column and shift lever, and attempt to move the shift lever out of Park, and then back into park.

I don't recall for sure, since I have not owned an ST in over 7 years, but I thought you had to depress the brake pedal before the starter would engage? Perhaps she did not step on the brake when trying to start the engine?

...Rich

Also move the shifter to Neutral, Foot on brake and crank

Todd Z

Hey,

Thanks again for the suggestions. I hate problems like this that don't happen every time you drive the vehicle. It makes it really hard to track down the problem!

Z

Latest posts