engine rumble

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glenn Delaney

Reaction score
hello, i am new here and i was hoping i could get some help figuring out what is going on with my truck!

- ok so i have a rumble when i'm just sitting in park or when i come to a stop at a light just pretty much whenever i'm at a stopped position. it almost like a spark plug misfire feel but i have all new plugs and the air system is clear up to the throttle body at least????

Vehicle: 2005 ford Explorer Sport Trac 4WD V6 K 4.0L Flex Fuel SOHC

It could be a bunch of things from dirty MAF, to Vacuum leak..... Could bad fuel filter, Bad wires, bad coil or a new plug is cracked. It happens.

One of the wires is not on the spark plug all the way, Clogging converter, ETC.

It needs to be looked at But I almost bet its something simple.

Is the check engine light on?

It has been doing this for quite some time even when my in-laws had the truck so it shouldn't be the plugs or the fuel filter because their new? I have been meaning to swap out the fuel pump because Its factory and I just want to! But I should be able to hear a vacuum leak right? And also it was taken to the shop about a year ago to find out what all need to be taken care of to keep it running good because the previous owners did practically no maintenance.... so I've been doing some work on it but it runs great and idles great at 1,000 but there's just a rumble like when you have a bad idle I guess

IAC clean? Search through the PROJECTS section linked below. (Maintenance)

Last edited by a moderator:
How many miles? Is the Check Engine Light (CEL) on? Doubt you'd be able to hear a vacuum leak - if you did the engine would either run very poorly or not at all. Look at the IAC valve as mentioned and also the PCV valve. Idle rpm of 1000 is too high.

Could be an exhaust leak too.....

Todd Z

Thank you for all the replys!!

The check engine light is not on, it's got about 115,000 but it runs great it's just has the odd rumble. Also I gave previously looked at the IAC valve and it was slightly dirt but I cleaned it up. (Thanks for the link) and the idle is 1,000 but when i put it in gear it drops to maby 700-800 it runs nicely. this problem has been going on a few years now I am just trying to see if I can pin point it, its not causing any issues or anything but is slightly annoying because it obviously means something isn't right=/

Wouldn't an exhaust system leak cause it to run loud? I guess I thought it would definitely be noticeable? Can it be hard to find?

Did you ever find out what was the cause of this noise? I ask because I'm experiencing something similar with my 05 and before I pay some Tech 85.00 an hour I'd like to find out what you found. Thanks Frank