Engine making a roaring sound

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My 2003 Sport Trac began making a roaring noise a couple days ago (haven't driven it since.) The closest comparison sound would be really loud air flow or a loud fan. I let the engine cool and started the engine again to see if it only happened when the engine was hot, but it continues. The Check Engine Light is NOT on, and I checked the fan tension (because I read this could be the fan clutch), and seems okay...not spinning freely, and has a slight resistance. I don't see any leaks. I did read the possibility of an IAC, but not sure if that could cause such a loud roar. I have some experience working on my truck (had it for 7 years), but not mechanic level (changed water pump, thermostat & housing...all several years ago, and routine maintenance). Driving me crazy, and worried about driving it.

I suspect IAC. Check this video out: http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=ford+explorer+iac+noise&qpvt=ford+explorer+iac+noise&view=detail&mid=EA4AAD54A63C18F17397EA4AAD54A63C18F17397&FORM=VRDGAR

I have a 2003 as well my clutch fan gets kind of noisy after water temp reaches 200 degrees F which it does quite often in traffic with A/C on. And on start ups after the clutch is locked up it will still roar for a min or two then unlock. Its done this for the last 5 years and all is good. Hope that helps

Thanks gyates and roamer37. I am hoping that it's a clutch fan than has 5 years left on it. :) But the IAC isn't expensive either or hard to get to, so I will check that out as well. Looks like in either case, I can drive it to the parts store. Thanks s much for the quick reply...will keep you posted.

ON a cold morning check the coolant level IN THE RADIATOR not the tank.......

If the engine is running warm the clutch fan will feel the heat and lock making it spin and be noisy.

Check your t-stat housing for leaking coolant.

Todd Z

had a similar problem . when engine was idling , it roared . checked all the above suggestions . replaced IAC with no change. but when you raise the idle it would fade away. tried spraying brake cleaner around intake to check for leaks nothing . crawled underneath and felt exhaust gas coming from around nut on the EGR tube going to exhaust manifold it was loose . tighten it up the roar was history.

Latest posts