Engine Issue......Followup

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Alcaro

Reaction score
I did go with the engine change (used with 86K miles, to replace my 105K mile engine) for $2300. I have a six-month warranty, and all seems to be good. I have put about 500 miles on the replacement engine with no issues (no leaks, no hiccups, Thank GOD!)

As I have mentioned in the past, I have been using Royal Purple in my Trac since it was new. My mechanic, who owns a collision repair shop, is and has been familiar with my Trac as he has been doing most of the servicing. When I asked him about using RP in this replacement engine, he advised against it saying, he didnt know what this engine had been running and since the synthetic oil is thinner it may cause some seepage/leaks through the gaskets. He suggested I stay with regular oil in the engine.

My question to the Trac team is is he right or can/should I go back to using the RP which I had become VERY comfortable with.?

As always.. Thank You All for your input and help.

Bob A

Have read where it could cause seepage, but if you try RP and get the seepage, then all you should have to do is switch back to old school dino, monitor for seepage and go from there. You may or may not have seepage/leaks, unfortunately there is only one way to find out. GL

Honestly if you change your oil at every 3000 religiously you don't need the syn oils.....

Todd Z

the mechanic is a victim of misinformation based on 30 year-old heresay... synthetic will be fine... I've used 5w-30 full syn for 170,000 of the 175,000 mile my trac has on it w/o issue.. I have had other cars that i've changed from dino to syn w/o issue... I change the oil at 12 to 15k mile intervals, too. If you're going to change oil at 5k or less, then syn is a waste of money, IMO...

I go 6K on syn-blend. 10K on 100% syn. With a filter and top off @ 5K.

Never had an oil related problem either way.

IMO, I would do the syn-blend on the used motor.

I think what your mechanic is telling you is that engines build up carbon deposits and stuff inside the engine. With new synthetic oils like RP, they are much better at removing such deposits. Many people feel that if you switch an engine that has ran conventional oil for say 86k miles when you switch to syn it will break up some of the deposits in the engine. Now this sounds all good but some of those deposits might have kept that engine from leaking witch in turns causes leaks.

I switch my 98 mazda b2500 to syn at around 150ish with no ill effects for the next 50k. She is still ticking strong if anyone wants to buy it :) I just switched my ST to syn which is at 160k an no ill effects yet but then again its only been 1k