Engine Issue......Followup

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Alcaro

Reaction score
well here's an update to my earlier post......

Engine issue by PlymBob'02Member Profile, 6/5/2010 15:55 ET

......towed it to repair shop I have used and trust, and after he started it up to diagnose the problem, the engine seized up and stopped. (I have 104K miles and have been using Royal Purple in it since new) After discussion he suggested a used motor for $900. to $1000. and about 16 hrs for the change out. He found three engines with 70K, 87K & 86K miles, and informed approx. $2K to $2.5K for the job.

A) does this sound about right?

B) anything I should be aware of with a used engine other than switch from synthetic oil to regular.

Thanks again for all your help and suggestions..........Bob A.

Sounds right.... What kind of warranty on the motor ??? also replace plugs, and any hoses, starter pumps ect.......

Todd Z

Even on a low mileage used motor. I suggest changing / upgrading the front and rear timing chains /cassettes. It a helluva lot easier when the motor is out of the vehicle.

Not sure I would use Royal Purple if the last one siezed the engine. I'd be more inclined to use Mobil 1 or similair mainstream, accepted oil that meets all manufacturer's specifications.

IT wasn't Royal purple that locked it!! I use royal purple in mine and all my race cars! Never have a problem!!