Engine is gone...

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim Nicholson

Reaction score
My 2003 has died. 137K miles on it and I was driving down the highway and all of sudden the thing got very sluggish. I made it to the Dealer and they told me 2 of the cylinders have no compression and the engine is pretty much gone.

I am a bit beside myself on this. Truck was in great shape.

I would certainly get a second opinion , and not at a dealership..2 cylinders with no compression doesn't happen suddenly , unless the valves went, and you would have had more noise and rattling. I see you live in the NE and the cold may have something to do with it. Fuel filter, fuel pump.

I would NEVER take a dealerships word about something that critical.

Sorry to hear that, I also have an 03.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree, a second opinion is needed.......

Todd Z

Low or no compression does not always mean the engine is shot???

No compression in two cylinders would likely be a blown headgasket between the cylinders.

The only other weird possibility would be a broken camshaft between the front cylinder and the rear cylinders on one bank of the engine. That could allow the front cylinder to operate while the rear two cylinders are stuck with intake/exhaust valves open.

It would be very unusual to break valves in two cylinders at the same time

If you know which cylinders went out it makes it easier to determine what might have happened, but I'm guessing that the two cylinders are next to each other and you just blew a head gasket.

Definitely get another opinion !! Ford dealer just wants you to buy an new car or truck!

When I was a Salesman at one of the local Ford dealers whe used to hang out around the service department looking for someone who just got bad news about some expensive repairs.

...Rich

I come from a family of mechanics, most home mechanics, but a couple are certified and they work at small shops.

They both same the same thing, dealerships don't fix anything, they just replace things! I have found this true, never has a dealership fixed anything, process of elimination.

Bill Barber,

I don't think I explained myself well, dealerships "fix" things by replacing whole parts. For instance, my uncle just worked on a transmission (his speciality), the owner originally took it to a dealer and they wanted to replace the whole transmission for a good chunk of change. My uncle pulled it and rebuilt for a whole lot less!

We dealt with an issue on our minivan, which is out of warranty. The kept replacing parts as a process of elimination. I remember sitting around watching family and friends work on cars as a kid, they would spend so much time listening, diagnosing, and trying to figure out the problem. Nowadays it is hooked up to a computer and parts are replaced according to what the computer says.

I was experiencing a problem with my ST and took it to the dealer several times and the computer didn't say anything. I took it to another dealer and the guy working on it said that it didn't register anything on the computer, but he happened to notice the engine skipping as it was sitting and idling. He looked into it and discovered the problem! No computer needed!

Anyway, dealers don't tear things apart and rebuild (or fix), they just replace parts and go on. Rebuilding saves the consumer a lot of money!

Now that all the other stuff is settled, get your ST back and have an independent, highly recommended mechanic look at it. Pay him if you have too, but my guess is the dealer is lying to you.

Hi All,

thank you for you replies. I am going to a private garage with it for a 2nd opinion. According to the paperwork from the dealer the issue is with cylinder 1 and 2.

Cylinder 1 and 2 are on opposite banks which is very odd. As I previously state that would be very odd for 2 cylinders to die unless it was a blown head gasket btween both cylinders.

Keep us posted.

...Rich

Hello All,

I really do appreciate all the opinions and advice and it all paid off. I let the truck sit for the Winter as I pondered what to do. I came so close to calling 1 877 Kars for Kids and then last week my Cousin called set me up with his Mechanic and he took in and broke it down.

Broken Valve and Valve Spring!!!

$700 bucks and I pick up my Trac tomorrow. He said it drives nice and smooth..

Thanks Gang.

:banana:

Last edited by a moderator: