Engine is dead

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Todd,

How about just putting in a motor ??? IT is way cheaper and your truck is in such GREAT shape it is worth the investment...

EVEN a crate motor NEW from ford is a way to go..

Todd Z

Todd,

I so wish I had a couple of free days... i would say buy a motor and come here, We would swap it out......

Todd Z

As for me. I keep my trac nice. I would go for the motor. I like the body style.

Now if the frame ever rots and falls to the ground, it will be a gonner...:rofl:

Unfortunately, I don't have a local shop that I trust to do an engine swap. The dealer is, of course, quoting $6k min to do the work. I'm 99% of the way to saying forget it and buying a new car.

Todd C.,

Here in houston we have several rebuilt motor swap places. They give 12K-12month waranties. I have had a few freinds get small block v8's for about $3000.

You dont have any like that around?

Got a call from the dealer. They offered $4500 trade-in. That means they are subtracting the retail cost of repairing the truck from the blue book value. I'll be having it towed home tomorrow. There's a shop that my brother uses that I am going to get a quote from. From there I'll weigh repair vs. sell (Craigslist) vs. trade.

On another note, I test drove a Hyundai Genesis Coupe 3.8 today. I could get in a lot of trouble in that car. That is a mean sounding V6. I checked out a Hyundai Santa Fe, and a Kia Sorrento too. All I can say is that the Detroit 3 had better be on their A-game, the Koreans are building some nice cars.

EddieS'04 said:
Todd C.,

Here in houston we have several rebuilt motor swap places. They give 12K-12month waranties. I have had a few freinds get small block v8's for about $3000.

You dont have any like that around?

We don't have many engine shops in the North because historically the bodies rusted out long before the engines died. There was just never a big need for it. We'd send the South engines and they'd send us sheetmetal. :grin:

They offered $4500 trade-in. That means they are subtracting the retail cost of repairing the truck from the blue book value.

You don't honestly think the dealer cares about the custore, did you?

Tom

If you only have to go down as far as the heads it might not be too bad. Otherwise I'd say get another motor from a junkyard and then either keep it or trade it.

Looks like I'm going to get it fixed. The tow truck operator put me in touch with a local shop. I talked with the owner a bit yesterday, and we'll go over the details on Monday.

I seem to be having some difficulty finding a shop to swap the engine. I've tried two so far. One's not returning my calls, not a good sign. The second is trying to get pricing on a reman. No word so far from them.