Engine Cutting Off

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

O W

Reaction score
Within the past 18 months my 2002 has cut off three times. The first time I was turning into a parking lot. The second time (about nine months later) I was just cruising along at about 45 mph. Then I drove from Arizona to east coast with regular trips out there then back to Arizona totaling 6,455 miles without a problem. Then recently it cut off again at about 30 mph. Each time it did this I coasted to the side and it started right back up and ran fine. All three times it was a hot day with air on and its about 3,000 feet here in Southern Arizona. Anybody have any thoughts on this? Heat without humidity plus elevation? Its not that big of a deal I'm just curious. I bought it new in Virginia (about 300 feet above sea level) and moved to Arizona with about 85,000 miles on it. The first time it cut out was around 107,000 miles and now has 118,000 miles. I know its not plugs or plug wires and if it was the heat and elevation here why did it do fine here for over 20,000 miles?

Bad fuel pump.....or loose wireing..

Todd Z

Thanks for the input guys. I will certainly keep these in mind if it gets worse. At this point I can only wait and see. If it is any of these mentioned it will surely get worse in the near future. What ever it is its weird that it is so far spaced apart.

Check your IAC it is on the top of the engine, there is a project on how to clean it. When mine went out the Trac would die whenever my foot was not on the gas. Not fun driving like that! I picked up a new one and changed it at work in the parking lot, it is two bolts and one plug.

Thanks BamaCraig. Good deal. I will try cleaning it. I have noticed that it sometimes stutters while sitting at a light. Doesnt die but rpms drop badly for a few seconds.