Engine code PO300

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P0300 Random Misfire Detected

More then likely Bad gas, But could be fuel filter, bad plugs or bad plug wires...

Todd Z

If it was one plug misfiring, the computer would tell you which plug.

My money says plugs and wires. Are bad plugs and wires a bad thing? Yes it is. You will burn more fuel causing really bad gas mileage. Also, driving it that way will cause your Cat. converter to fail sooner.

Is it common? Very common on all cars and trucks with spark plugs and wires that need replaced that have worn and need replaced.

Tom

Chris,

My plugs started to miss fire with only 30K on them.....

I would chenge the fuel filter and plugs and wires..

Todd Z

I changed the fuel filter, plugs and wires and still get this. Only happens at WOT usually under load like trying to go uphill. I have always had it but swear that it only started happening after they changed the gas here to 10% ethanol.

I have a 2001 J2 Trac, at one point I read about a TSB where this was caused by the valve springs hanging open at WOT (speeds over 4800RPM i think). Rather than having Ford @#%! with my engine, I decided to take my chances living with it. It isn't noticeable, nor does it have any symptoms other than the flashing light. Hasn't been an issue yet, knocking on wood.

I would still try to change your wires, plugs, filter, for the sake of maintenance. I have gotten from 8-22MPG in my Trac with this issue, no one else here seems to have this issue. I drive like an ass as well, so maybe it is just that.

Latest posts