EMT/Firefighter needs more power

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luke Willard

Reaction score
Hi there fellow Sport Trac enthusiasts. I need to say right up front that I don't speak tech/forum language so if you could please use plain english, I'd really appreciate it. I have a 2003 ST that I really love. In my line of work, when the tone sounds, I have to move and move fast. While my ST isn't really what I'd call underpowered, I have recently considered trading it for something with some real "get up and go". After dealing with several salesmen, I've decided that I'd rather have my knee drained than continue the search. Also know that I'm not a mechanic, although I'm not completely in the dark either. My ST has 129K miles... starts immediately even in extreme cold temps (I'm in northern VT)... not huge tires but I did move one size up from the standard... the engine is quiet (no ticking or other notable sounds). Over all it runs quite well and I want to continue to although I am aware that the driving that is required of me during emergency calls is not generally healthy for any rig. Logic tells me that more power and higher performance equals less wear on the engine and other components.

So here it is... With a budget of $3000, what can I do (or have done) to get a noticeable gain in power from my ST? Note that I am not interested in trucks that can be heard a mile away. A bond auto clerk told me that the ST has 4 catalytic converters which could be limiting the air exchange and therefore limiting my power. I've also heard people talk about performance "chips", etc. I have considered the K&N intake system for $250 and possibly a throttle body spacer but if the exhaust is limited, it would seem that these wouldn't help much. I've provided a lot of info here and am hoping that some of you may be able to help a public servant who would prefer not to trade his Sport Trac. Thanks in advance.

Luke

Luke, greetings from the Jersey shore! Although I own a second generation ST(V8), I agree with many others that the best single thing you can do is to go to the website below and order an SCT XCalIII tuner for your truck. Look to contact Torrie McPhail at Fast Parts Network. Through e-mails tell him what modifications you've already made to the truck(or plan to do) and he will create 3 specific tunes for you. All this for around $3-something. Its the best bang for the buck!! But before you do, Contact Todd Zabbia(from this site) at Zabtek Performance for an oversized throttle body. The big round thing on the front of your intake manifold. This will allow more air in to the engine. Its a simple bolt on. Also modifying the airbox/filter(in the projects section) or one of those K&N intake set-ups will give you some noticable increases in power. Remove the stock muffler and replace with a hi-flow unit from Flowmaster, Magnaflow or Gibson. Several of these companies also make 'cat-back' systems(Gibson makes a real nice kit). Worth looking into. Any of the other modifications(ignition, plugs, wires or headers) will give you only nominal gains. You're gonna have to do some searching on many websites to find ideas and parts. Make sure to look in the 'projects' section here for 'how to' info on many modifications.

Now when the intake and throttle body(air in) and exhaust(air out) are done, contact Torrie and get the programmer(very simple to hook up). You WILL be amazed at the difference. I'm sure others will chime in with their own tips, but those 3 I wrote about are the big ones. Good luck, stay in touch and Thank You for your service to your community. Bob :banana::banana:

Last edited by a moderator:
There is not much you can do to get any more useable power out of this vehicle. For $3000 you could get yourself some driving instruction, this would make more of a difference than anything. Not trying to be a smart @## but it's true.

I respond 911 calls as a Nurse/medic. My stock 2001 ST has more than enough power. We have rules... No more than 10 mph over the limit in city limits when using lights/siren. No more than 80 on highways. I wouldn't dare doing emergency driving with rear leaf springs over 80 mph anyway.

I don't live in the city. I live in the country where my patient might be 15 miles away. I also live in the mountains of Vermont where the laws are different. And Mr. l1tech, no you're not a smart @##... you're just expressing your ignorance by judging a person you don't know. I have more certifications in my field (including emergency driving) then you could imagine. I value human life, not the thrill of the drive. I also disagree with your opinion that I can't get more power. I was polite in my inquiry. You weren't. However, I don't have time to banter with you because I have a job to do... and you must be busy insulting other well-intentioned people.

Thank you MikeVT and especially Bob C. for your advice regarding this topic.

One thing also taller tires, change the final gear ratio. Larger tires and wheels and tires are heavier.

Therefore more unsprung weight also effects handeling and power to get it rolling.

I did the SCT Tuner from Torrie, Magnaflow exhaust and a full k&n cold air intake and I really think it made a good bit of difference over stock and I didn't put too much money into it either. Got the k&n on ebay for $150 shipped, the catback exhaust for $400 shipped and the SCT is what it is. Over all it feels pretty good for less than 1k. Also was really easy install on all parts. Did them in my driveway and it only took about 3 hours.

Wow @ the douche baggery here... LukeVT thanks for the service you do to the community... I live in IN but still know how to give respect to people like you.

I'm a youngin and not a mechanic by any means, but Ive had my truck for 2 1/2 years and have been a forum member ever since. What Ive learned is the 4.0 isnt a great base for a powerhouse... it CAN become something more, but it wont be as fast (or cost effective) as a v8. As stated earlier, the XCAL 3 is a great place to start... or even end. A bigger MAF housing and throttle body from Zabtek, are also a great addition. a new air intake can help out marginally, but nothing huge (the combo of an air intake and XCAL may be different than an air intake by itself though). Besides that keep you tires/ rims as close to the stock OD as possible and maybe re gear to a 4.10 if your dont have those already. I just now started reading what Bob C. said and everything he said is spot on. I cant think of anything else... maybe some really bright strobes and a loud siren to get people out of the way :grin:

If you find time post some pics!! and thank you!!! :haveabeer:

Luke,

One whole day as a member and you get your panties in a wad. I really thought the phrase "not trying to be a smart @##" summed up my intentions to not be a smart @## but I guess not. As far as you telling me that I am judging a person that I don't know...have we met and I don't know it becasue it sure seems that you are judging me. IDK but I think anyone who has been around here for a while will say that I am usually more than helpful when I can be and don't have a rep for starting things or for being a smart @##. Anyway good luck in your adventures.

As a career firefighter/paramedic, I would say you need to be more concerned about getting to the call safely rather than at warp speed. You shouldn't be travelling at much more than the speed limit no matter what state you are in. You are not a firetruck or ambo. If I had $3000 to spend, I would be spending it on training, college, seminars, etc. and not making my truck go fast. my opinion

Luke,

some of us may not always agree, thats life. The info you recieved here from all posters is sound info. No one is being a smarty. Please dont judge until you have been here awhile. This is a good board and good folks. At this time all the jerks have been weeded out. We all get upset but we try to play nice. This board is not like some out there. That are full of arguments and name calling. I degress, I myself have been guilty and warned. Do some searches about what you need. Ask questions about things. You may get some answers you dont like. Then you will also get qaulity answers also. All the regulars here are very knowledgable. That would include things other than auto's and Tracs, also.

Tyler,

no one is dissing or judging or disrespecting. The info you and Bob gave is good. But I have spent mucho $$ on all that and more on my '04. It is really not any faster. Only pepier. Mostly just tinkering, something to do. The 4.0L, to really be fast. Needs an upgrade to a super six long block and a SC. Or drop in a performance built pushrod 5.0L.

All in all my best upgrades have been the suspension. I could pull all the performance stuff off and still be happy with the performance.

I hope niether one of you think Im, being grumpy. Not at all.

Have a good weekend......:supercool:

Being at the risk of making emergency maneuvers, concentrate on handling upgrades first.

Changing OEM shocks and the rear sway bar will greatly improve the safety of this vehicle.

As Eddie said, the bolt on engine upgrades would give you diminishing returns by comparison.

Brother in the fire service I have more than ran many calls lights/siren with no problems with my rig. She shits and gets with a v-6 with only a k/n and aftermaket muffler. Sadly I have replaced my rig with a 04 Yukon only because I need a bigger vehicle for the family. My 01 now sits in the back yard bout to to be for sale. Your truck isn't a v-8 but is one hell of a truck for a v-6.love it and enjoy it

Fire/operator

Chris Comeaux

Latest posts