Electoral shock

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave King 2

Reaction score
This Sen. is fed up and is telling it like it is.

In an interview on MSNBC this morning, newly retiring Sen. Evan Bayh declared the American political system "dysfunctional," riddled with "brain-dead partisanship" and permanent campaigning. Flatly denying any possibility that he'd seek the presidency or any other higher office, Bayh argued that the American people needed to deliver a "shock" to Congress by voting incumbents out en masse and replacing them with people interested in reforming the process and governing for the good of the people, rather than deep-pocketed special-interest groups.

Full story http://news.yahoo.com/s/ynews/ynews_ts1134

I think the next couple of elections are going to be a real shocker for both political parties. I think we are seeing a grass-roots movement to throw out the partisian two party system and to bring in independent, free thinking people to lead this country.

I envision a day when any candidate declares he is a member of any political party will be run out of office on a rail. Too many politiac hacks are switching parties or voting against party lines because they are begining to see the handwriting on the wall. Doing what may be good for the political party often is doing sonething that is not good for America. I think we should ban political parties and the electorial college. One person, one vote, and the most votes wins.

I think term limits were mentioned earlier, and I agree to the extent that the limit should be one term for all Senators and Congressmen, two terms for the President and Vice President., and you must not be or have been in any elected political office for 2 years prior to your candidacy. No retirement benefits for Senators or Congressmen and their pay is capped at 100K per year or less.

All campaign contributions go into a Ferderal election fund and money distributed evenly amounst the candidates running for office. Primary election will narrow down the candidates eligable to continue to the next primary, etc. until only the leading 2-3 candidates are remaining who will make it to the final election.

...Rich

Couldn't agree with him more. The group of idiots running this country are so out-of-touch with reality, all of them need to go...

I hate when an elected official runs for another office and still holds his current elected office.

This should not be allowed. I liked when Bob Dole resigned from his senate seat to run for President. Most politicians have no character or class anymore.

Bud,

I agree. I think if you limit them to one term and they must have a two year break between running for election to another public office. That would mean they are there to serve their full term without distractions like being on the road campaigning for a year when they should be in their office working. A simple rule..."No campaigning while serving in an elected office", and that means no campaigning for yourself or on the behalf of others.

...Rich

I used to be anti-term limits. My thought was if you don't like them, don't vote for them. I have changed my mind. I now know once they're in, it's actually very difficult to get them out. The money is more easily acquired as an incumbent...you have all sorts of special interest groups funneling cash to you and willing to campain for you. If you're trying to GET elected, it's tougher to raise the cash and build support.

If you only get one term, someone will work harder to pass "bad laws" knowing they have nothing to lose.

If there is a chance of getting re-elected, then they should be thinking twice before passing a bad law knowing they may not get re-elected by the people.

Tom

Caymen,

Bad laws ?????????????????????????

Name any Good Law that the Senate or Congress has passed lately that would have made any difference if they had term limits??

That can't even get ANY laws passed, good or bad, because of the political infighting. I don't think term limits would make any difference other than keeping the Power hungry riff-raff out of Washington. The ones that run for office will have to be truely dedicated to public service and will not have politcal ties or have time to become too corrupt.

...Rich

Hopefully, the Emperor won't dissolve the Senate! I'm just worried that George Lucas may have been creating a prophecy when he made the Star Wars universe!

Who would propose dissolving the Senate (and also the House) and giving Obama the Emergency Powers?

Ultra annoying Binks did it in the movie, so who could recreate that in today's Senate? Biden? Maybe, but he's the powerless VP.

I'm going with McCain, he sort of fits the gist of what was established in the movie.

(Aligned with the "Right" side, truth & justice that whole bit, but he's a moron and completely shoots his team in the foot when left up to him)

:rofl::back2topic:

Caymen, by your argument any term limit will lead to bad laws. However, even if bad laws are passed, since all the rascals who passed them will be out at the next election, then the newcomers will likely vote out the offensive law since that would be part of their campaign for office, logically.

Instate the term limit. Is there a true disadvantage? I do not see one.

1. Term limits

2. Fair tax

3. do away with the Department of Education

each state has a education department.

4. Do away with Federal funding of the Arts.

each state has programs in place for this.

5. More States' Rights to put power locally, thus being more accountable

6. get us out of the United Nations, at least the funding for it. NATO is all we really need.

7. Abolish the IRS as we know it, see #2

8. Tort Reform, loser pays all legal fees and court cost. this will do away with those frivilous

lawsuits tying up the system.

9. Before enacting laws, do away with laws that do not work that are on the books.

10. Close the borders for real. Bring in the National Guard to secure our borders, the hell with the Posse Comitatus act.

11. Do away with Congressional retirement programs and healthcare.

Let them pay for their own health insurance like the rest of us.

If they don't want to, let them go to the litary military clinic and wait for service by military

doctors. They should be treated the same as the lowest ranking military enlistee.

12. pass a balanced budget amendment.

The feds should appropriate money after they take it in, not based on projections,

etc. We do it, they should have to as well

13. Get rid of programs that are wasteful and do not work.

14. Enact the line item veto.

15. Defund ACORN and shut them down. they are corrupt.