EDIT: INFO ONE OF THE SADIST DAYS OF MY LIFE.. THE LAST Sport Trac Has been built !!! PLZ READ !!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is a shame, I have been a long time silent member and owner of a 2001, I hope this means that the value of our Tracs will increase, perhaps we can come up with a new rally point for our annual Sport Trac meets, family is everything.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sad day indeed! I ordered my 2001 ST back in April of 2001, waited about 8 weeks or so and then the sales rep caled me in to pick it up! I was so thrilled that I left my 1991 Explorer at the dealership for almost a week! Kept that used 1991 until it got wrecked with my granddaughters in it (they are fine!) this past August. My ST is still running great at 249,000 miles on it! It is the beautiful color of Island Blue:love: that FMC ousted that color sometime during that year of 2001. Sad to seeit go, and it really had no competition from anybody out there, so why would they kill it off? :banghead:I am not buying an F-150 ever but I love them! I am planning on getting a used 2008 or 2009-10 STA really soon and it ain't going anywhere. I'm keeping that 2001 too!!!!:banana:

That's pretty disappointing. And I had just been reading articles how the new Ranger isn't coming to the U.S.. Sad to think Ford will not make a truck suitable for me, or one I would seriously consider buying. (If I could have two vehicles I'd take a Raptor in an instant though. Not much of a commuter vehicle though).

I just wanted to drop in and add my bit of ST history here...my wife and I are on our 4th Sporttrac. We fell in love with our first one, a 2001 black XLT that we bought new, straight off our dealers showroom. We kept it until 2004, when we decided to try something different...a brand new 2005 Ford Escape Limited. We had the Escape for less than 1 year, when we decided that we missed the ST too much. We traded in the Escape on a 2005 Sporttrac XLT Premium, and added Adrenalin wheels, chrome steps, and head rests. Kept the 05 until 2008, and decided to step up to a Gen2, and snatched up a Limited with the V-8. Wanted to buy an Adrenalin at that time, but were hard to find, and a bit out of our price range..the way we wanted one equipped. Saved our money, and 2 years later...found our current 2010 Adrenalin V-8 fully loaded just like we wanted..and traded in the 08. I knew the ST was coming to an end, and stepped up just in time to grab this one...at the time there were not many v-8 loaded up models left to choose from. Even though we never kept one longer than 4 years, this one will remain with us until it dies...then it will become a project for me....maybe supercharged....who knows. I have always been a Mustang fanatic, and currently have a 68 with a big block, and a 2000 GT convertible...this is the closest thing you can get to a Mustang that can haul an entire family, pull the boat, looks freakin awesome, gets compliments every time we go somewhere. I honestly dont know what I would get right now if I had to replace it...and dont want to think about it. My Mustangs are my babies, and would never want to get rid of them..but told the wife the other day that they would be the first to go...the Adrenalin stays no matter what. I am devasted that there will be no more ST's, but feel very fortunate to have owned 4 of them, and am currently driving the one I have always wanted.

After YEARS of trying to find the perfect vehicle that combines true sport handling, truck utility, great looks and an awesome motor all in one, I finally find it in a 2010 silver STA. Now its all over.....

With US Thanksgiving coming up, it's fitting to say that I'm thankful for the high end sports car features that Ford brought us while the other US automakers weren't innovating at all. Ford was the first to build a mass produced overhead cam V-8, the 427 Cammer, back when the only other cars running performance OHC motors were the Italian exotic car makers. The Pantera brought us real Italian exotic car styling, performance, and the first true mid engine layout and IRS; again the stuff only available in bleeding edge Italian exotics. These innovations are important because they really are better than older technology.

I'm thankful that in the '80s Ford made these superior race-bred technologies affordable for the average buyer. First the Fox Thunderbirds got IRS, then the MN12 'birds, then the Cobra Mustangs, and then the Explorer/Sport Trac and Expeditions. Next came the 2, 4 and now 3 valve OHC V-8 (and V-10) motors, which became standard performance power for the T-Bird, Mustang, and many other sporting Ford vehicles. Granted, others did offer OHC motors, but those were mostly wimpy little 4-bangers, and none made the major league power numbers that Ford's mod motors have.

To me, having a multi-valve OHC engine under the hood and IRS (the setup of choice for the finest sports cars and off-road light trucks alike) were MAJOR factors in choosing my Sport Trac.

Sure the old tech has its place. If you really crave a solid axle, leaf sprung, kingpin suspension, US automakers like Mack, Kenworth, Sterling and others have plenty to offer. If that's your thing, God bless you. It's just not my idea of a good time.

The '07-'10 Sport Trac is a unique vehicle. The drivetrain and suspension have more in common with a Lamborghini Murcilago than with an American pickup truck. But even Lamborghini's LM002 never had a pickup bed option. I mean no insult to Gen1 Sport Trac owners, but the Gen2 is a truly exceptional vehicle. And I am thankful to have one.

Let's hope that Ford is forward looking enough to anticipate the wants and needs of the North American sport truck buyer after we finally shake off the last vestiges of the Second Great Bush Recession. Although the Explorer-based Sport Trac is unlikely to return (at least not with the RWD/4WD running gear and V-8 option that made it unique), as long as the Ranger is still alive, there is hope for a short bed, body-on-frame sport pickup. Keep the Torsen, but bring back the IRS, please!

Same sad story here with my 2001. We have 10 years and 176k miles together. I asked the local dealer what they would have in a couple years, I know he doesn't know what will be available, but his answer was an F150 - I laughed and told him I might live in the country and need a 4x4, but I am not driving That! He seemed insulted. :) The Sport Trac fits ME and obviously a bunch of other people on this website. Maybe us 10 year drivers are part of the problem - but a quality truck is worth keeping around. Here's to a few more good years!

While we are looking for a new (to us) vehicle I cant afford a new one. I would LOVE to have it though. It would be so great if someone on here were to get that one!

When i got my 2007 Sport Trac XLT, loved it. It was the perfect size for me. When i heard that the end was near for production, i traded her off for a 2010 Sport Trac Adrenalin. SHe was only 3 years old and less than 38,000 miles, but li love my Adrenalin. And there are not a lot of them around, which i like. Maybe in a few years when it is time for a new vehicle, Ford will have something that is sized like the Sport Trac than i can trade in to. Do not want a F150, or a Ranger - had a 2002 and 2003 Ranger. (and a 2005 Escape, and a 2007 Edge)

If the above trac is indeed the LAST one why am i finding tracs with Vin#'s starting in the 8's.. the supposed last trac which was spoke of at crossvile Ford in Tenn. has a vin in the 7's VIN:

1FMEU3DE4AUF07829 ... and there is an Adrenalin near me that has a Vin of 1FMEU2D86AUF08288

Trax, I hear you. My Adrenalin was built like 10-11 days before the end of production, and the last 4 of the vin is 7268. Makes no sense. I have a hard time believing that they made 561 units in 10 days. I think that there is another method to their madness. And according to the website that was listed some time back to check build dates, the Adrenalin that you saw was built on 10-19

wow complicated I guess, I just wonder why vin numbers would be out of sequence like that just makes no sense :):banghead:

VIN does not stand for "serial number". Therefore it's not rational to expect a VIN to come out in a perfect serial sequence. Apples aren't oranges.

sorry for being irrational Mustang Guy I just though it would be logical for models to have a build sequence. guess I did get the fruit all mixed up or so to speak :supercool:

I am a little late to this thread but the subject has been on my mind for months!

This is a great photo, I saved it to an album of I keep of ST photos. It's interesting to think that my 2010 was built almost 1 year earlier to the day of the last truck shown! It's also fun to think that many in that photo actually had a hand in building my truck, how often can you see who built your vehicle?

As a fun bit of trivia, it seems the last ST travelled 207 miles (by truck I assume) from it's birthplace in Louisville, KY to the Crosville, TN dealer. Where does it go from there? ? ?

I actually anticipated production to end in December, that's why I just checked the forum now.

Isn't the Louisville plant going to make the new Explorer?

As sad as it is to have no more new STs, I just hope the people in the photo will still have a job?

I'll never forget the first time I saw photos of the SportTrac at MotorTrend online circa. late 2000. At the time I was driving a 1999 F-150 and needed the bigger bed of the truck. I found myself not in the position to buy a new vehicle for a few years later.

Seriously considered a bare bones new ST with 5-Speed back in 2003 but passed on it for a new 2003 yellow SuperCab Ranger Edge which was traded for a 2004 Tundra (hated it!) and then a 2006 Dodge Ram 1500 (which was great)

Fast forward to 2009 and traded the '06 Ram for my first ST, a used 5,000 mile 2008 XLT 4X4 and absolutely fell in in love! It's a car, it's a truck, it does EVERYTHING I need!

A little further ahead to summer 2010 and I traded the '08 for a 2010 Limited 4X4 V8 loaded with everything - the finest, highest-trimmed vehicle I've ever owned. Plan to keep it many years or at least to my 100,000 warranty. Obviously, my history shows I trade often, I really don't feel the need to that until something as versatile as my 2010 V8 4X4 Limited comes along ;)

I'm sure Ford will eventually bring out something in this segment. I think their F150 is a brilliant truck in many aspects but size.

The ST had a good and proud run. I seen many in beautiful shape which is testament to peoples' affinity for the concept.

Take Care Fellow ST Fans,

B3

Latest posts