ECM Puked

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My wife's 2001 Chrysler Voyager Check Engine code indicates an internal computer failure. All the research I've done indicates I will need to change the computer. If I go to the dealership it will cost between $850-1000. I've found a couple of companies on-line that will repair your computer, flash with VIN, etc., and return with about a one day turn time. The process is to disconnect your battery, unplug and remove computer, mail with VIN, re-install and connect battery (seems simple enough). My question is has anyone used this type of service before? Any negatives I need to watch out for? The cost is $279.00.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Rob,

Those services are good and do save a lot of cost.....

I have used one local one here in the past, i never had to mail any thing away....

If you don't care about the Vin number stuff, you don't need to have the Vin and mileage flashed into the computer and you can just replace the ECm as is. Unless the car requires it to be flashed...

Todd Z

how many miles on the vehicle you still might fall under the 8yrs 80,000 miles emissions warranty which warranties the computer.

Let me know which you have and I will get you some prices on the ECU. (Used but good).

Elec Cont Unit (ECU), (left fender), 2.4L, low emis (Cal)

Elec Cont Unit (ECU), (left fender), 2.4L, std emis (Fed)

Elec Cont Unit (ECU), (left fender), 3.3L, flex-fuel

Elec Cont Unit (ECU), (left fender), 3.3L, exc. flex-fuel; Fed

Elec Cont Unit (ECU), (left fender), 3.3L, exc. flex-fuel; Mexico

For the heck of it, I looked up the following,

Elec Cont Unit (ECU), (left fender), 3.3L, exc. flex-fuel; Fed

and found prices ranging from $48.92 to $125.00 (312 of them).

Let me know if you want more info...

Coastie, You guessed good. That's my engine. I guess my only concern is when I hook the replacement up, what if I fry it? Not sure what causes them to go but the engine light came on about 4 months ago but the van runs fine ( made a trip to the store, came back out, cranked up and the light was on ????). Anyway, $125 versus $1000 may be a good gamble.

Oh, Evan, the van has 112K so no warranty.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts